Does the post office x-ray? answer.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jul 16, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    This was cut and pasted from here http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={60a261b0-5395-11dd-6d36-000000000000}&event=1&view

Is
    mail X-rayed?
    Some of the mail that is sent through the United States Postal Service will pass through an X-Ray machine. There are no specific guidelines as to what may or may not be x-rayed, though mail sent to or through larger cities is likely to pass through an X-Ray machine.

Note: Marking a mailpiece "Do Not X-Ray" will not forgo the X-Raying of a mailpiece, and may result in the item being considered suspicious

If you have additional questions about X-Raying of items, contact your local Post Office.

SO - If you go by this, markig do not x-ray seems to be worse off in the end. Since they use the term x-ray I will err on the side of caution....
    If/when I ever ship - I will be marking FRAGILE and that's it. I am also going to suggest any sent be marked as such also, maybe see if the results are better

Krista

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Something another person here did (and I also suggested) is to pack the box of eggs in front of a postal worker so that they can see that there's nothing in it of concern. The lady said that the box had some official looking stamps on it saying not to x-ray it, so I'm assuming it worked. Whatever the case, it's worth a shot!!!

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I also asked a follow-up question of what type, if any, of radiation are our packages subject to. It says I will have a detailed response in 1-2 days. I will post the response.
    Maybe this will help trouble shoot some of our hatching problems [​IMG]
    Krista

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I doubt that post office X-rays are the source of any hatching problems. Their machines are so low-dose that they won't even fog camera film.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I figured I would ask since it is brought up so frequently, doesn't hurt to ask [​IMG]

6. DebsKeepsa

DebsKeepsa New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    I received a live plant in the mail. It had a big green sticker saying "Live Plant". I have ordered ladybugs before and their sticker said "live animal" . Maybe that is the best answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by