Does the TYPE of light matter for egglaying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by asher, Nov 9, 2008.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I do not currently have the ability or the finances to run electric to the coop.

Is it just ANY light or does it have to be a specific wattage?

Specifically, I was wondering about the round click on lights that are battery operated. Would that induce laying as well? We have a small "barn" that is the size of a shed. I was thinking of trying two of those in there.

I haven't had eggs in MONTHS. They are not molting. They are getting plenty of the correct food and have been wormed, etc. Light is my last thought.

2. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    i have been told and read that at 40 watts are needed. that is probably what the girls need. i think they have to have at least 14 hours of light per day. i dont think those round battery lights are bright enough. it would also cost alot in batteries. is a heavy exstention and energy saver bulb an option for you? they have low draw.

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    We have a pretty long, bright orange garage type extension with a caged bulb, like you'd use to work on a car at night, if you know what I mean. Seems to work great for us and didnt cost much.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    We run an extension cord from the coop to the garage. We put our light (a compact fluorescent) on an automatic timer. It goes on at 4 am and off at 7 am.

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Yep I use an extension cords also. A CFL is a good choice. I have used 40-100 watt of output CFL lights for my coops. It really depends on the size of the building but a 40 watt output CFL should be good enough for a small building like yours.

6. Chickenmagnet

Chickenmagnet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I use a low wattage full spectrum florescent bulb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by