Does this chick look normal or is something really wrong here?

It's also hard for me to tell for sure on my phone screen, but it looks like the chick's navel didn't properly close. If so, it is an open wound and susceptible to infection. I've never had a chick with this condition, and don't know how to advise.

Unfortunately it died as a chick. It was a few weeks old, because I didn't purchase the chick until it was a little over a week old. The chick acted fine, it just had this odd looking and feeling abdomen. I believe mushy chick is extremely difficult to treat. I really hope that's not the case with your little one. Hopefully Mare and M will be along soon and see something completely different than what it looks on my screen. So please wait until the others come along before you put anything into my thoughts on this.

That’s what concerns me. The vent itself doesn’t look prolapsed but I’m starting to think her organs may be prolapsed. It doesn’t feel as tight as the others’ abdomens
@MadThom , I think you are right to be concerned something is really wrong with your chick. In that group photo you posted, it is clearly lagging behind the growth rate of the other chicks.

Prolapse usually refers to the vent, while a hernia would address the abdominal area.
Since you haven't yet received a definitive response to her issue and what can be done to heal it, I am going to tag some of the medical experts on this forum. They should be able to advise.

@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @aart

She eats, drinks and poops but does seem to waddle more

Today I saw some reddish skin and checked it out thinking she was either molting or getting pecked. It almost seems like she is prolapsed or something

That’s what concerns me. The vent itself doesn’t look prolapsed but I’m starting to think her organs may be prolapsed. It doesn’t feel as tight as the others’ abdomens

The one time I had a chick like this, the abdomen felt odd. The best word I could find to describe it was that it felt heavy and full. It felt off and looked off. I believe in my case it was mushy chick disease.
Better photos would help of the red skin without the red light.
You are holding up the chick showing her abdomen, so I assume you are looking at her navel.
If it's not oozing, open or irritated, then I would leave that alone.

I do agree, her bottom looks a bit "full" in that last group photo. It's possible that she has infection, mushy chick, etc. Hard to know.

She's eating/drinking/active and pooping, so I would just observe and see how well she does.

Brahma varieties do grow slower than other breeds, even though they are one of th larger breeds. You might try giving her some probiotics in her water. They sell one called Flockleader Recover 911. Or just add a little yogurt to her diet (can give it to them changed out each day so it doesn't spoil. Tiny bit mixed with oregano flakes). Topically maybe try some wound spray for poultry. Or betadine. If it is internal it could still be treated with an antibiotic (if it isn't to far gone). We have had a few like that in the past but unfortunately didn't catch it in time. Hope she gets well.

Better photos would help of the red skin without the red light.
You are holding up the chick showing her abdomen, so I assume you are looking at her navel.
If it's not oozing, open or irritated, then I would leave that alone.

I do agree, her bottom looks a bit "full" in that last group photo. It's possible that she has infection, mushy chick, etc. Hard to know.

She's eating/drinking/active and pooping, so I would just observe and see how well she does.
I agree with this. :goodpost: it's hard to know. Sometimes nothing can be done. Watch her if she stops eating/drinking or just not doing normal chick things. Antibiotics wouldn't hurt her if you wanted to try it to be sure. Also better picture can help determine exactly what we r looking at

Brahma varieties do grow slower than other breeds, even though they are one of th larger breeds. You might try giving her some probiotics in her water. They sell one called Flockleader Recover 911. Or just add a little yogurt to her diet (can give it to them changed out each day so it doesn't spoil. Tiny bit mixed with oregano flakes). Topically maybe try some wound spray for poultry. Or betadine. If it is internal it could still be treated with an antibiotic (if it isn't to far gone). We have had a few like that in the past but unfortunately didn't catch it in time. Hope she gets well.
Ok thank y’all. That’s the perfect way to describe it, a “full” abdomen. Did not know mushy chick was a thing until now. Thank y’all again for this help, I appreciate it so much

Can u get a better picture of the skin your talking about without the red light.
Other than that if she is eating and drinking and acting like a normal chick I wouldn't worry to much.
These are some better pictures. Do you have any thoughts?
36DB4B8E-4513-48A1-9E7D-F4F9B2C65643.jpeg
C9EF1EB7-50C7-4BA6-9C7D-9210163042E7.jpeg
FBA4BCBD-3EE6-4D28-A829-8C2723439D31.jpeg
C66F1D67-7104-435C-A84E-1B6956EA90E3.jpeg
5B495979-6573-46B6-A969-C92A8816D035.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom