Does this chick need more time before I help it?

Renada_

Chirping
Mar 3, 2023
This chick is glued to the membrane of its egg, but I can’t decide if it looks to veiny right now. He is chewing, so I believe he is still absorbing his yolk a bit. I think it is a bit veiny and I should wait longer, but I just want a second opinion. He pipped sometime yesterday evening, and this is how much he’s gotten out, now he is just stuck in place. Let me know if I should take better photos!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 6
I started hatching out my eggs instead of having breakfast. Since I'm retired I need the monetary boost to make sure my kids are eating their layer pellets and fresh veg. I've done great hatch assists and only a couple stupid ones. The membrane can dry out and eventually shrink wrap the baby so they can't finish their unzipping process. I ALWAYS keep a small meat thermometer handy. And I try to use sterile distilled water. If it's steam distilled it's at least sterile when they bottled it. You can help moisten a drying out membrane that still has a blood supply by wetting a paper towel with 99-100 degree water wringing it out thoroughly and placing it over the membrane. Our bath water is 104-105 degrees which is nice and cozy for us and scalds the heck out of a tender chick. Baby still needs to breathe. Too wet and it's not good! The baby will continue to absorb the blood supply- this is nutrition it's going to need. There seems to be two . One thin one transparent membrane and a thick tough white one. The thin one -once the blood supply absorbs- peels back easily. I have used the edge of an egg shell to literally rip a tiny and I mean tiny hole into the thicker tougher white membrane. Its not good to crack off too much of the egg shell for the chick. They can peck their way out. I've only had one malpositioned chick that couldn't peck it's way out because it couldn't turn well. enough to do the job to finish. It's a very healthy chick loving it's life. The white tough membrane dries out and shrinks when exposed over a prolonged period of time, so less expose to the air is better. It's back to the moist paper towel if that does happen. Wrap loosely and keep an eye on the baby. If there is white membrane that hasn't dried out and shrunk, and the hatch is taking too long if you use the edge os a shell to poke a hole in it and there is any blood STOP. That chick has not absorbed it's blood supply - that's good nutritional support it will need. Styptic pencils burn like mad but can clot blood. The blood supply is not attached to nerves as in a cut so it won't burn the chick. You can use a very clean paper towel and apply extremely gentle pressure to the edge of the bleeding and it'll seal over. Be patient. There has been times when I need a chick to hurry up to fill an order on time. But harming the chick is not ever an option. If the blood supply has absorbed there will be zero blood when opening the white membrane. I've had chicks who broke the shell all around but the membrane wasn't punctured or enough for it to push out of it's shell. That's when I use the pointed edge of a shell and very carefully start it tearing. It's rip easy once it's started. Chicks needs hours of sleepy rest and time to fluff out after being born whether they energetically went from pip to unzip in 5 minutes or you had to patiently wait it out and help. Shipped eggs are the ones that need the most help I have found.

This chick is glued to the membrane of its egg, but I can’t decide if it looks to veiny right now. He is chewing, so I believe he is still absorbing his yolk a bit. I think it is a bit veiny and I should wait longer, but I just want a second opinion. He pipped sometime yesterday evening, and this is how much he’s gotten out, now he is just stuck in place. Let me know if I should take better photos!
Wait if you see red veins or blood always. Its not ready Moisten a paper towel with 99-100 degree water and don't smother the chick but place it over the drying membrane. We like bathwater at 104-105 degrees thats way too hot for a chick! Don't trust your fingers or even wrists for temps use a thermometer. Too cold and the baby can stress to death from shivering. If the chick is born with stuck membrane and/or pieces of cracked eggs shell on it get a tiny bowl like for dessert Use a meat thermometer and soak the baby in 99-100 degree water and gently remove the debris. If it doesn't just fall off keep soaking. They wriggle at first so don't let the baby slip and drown. I had one who actually liked the warmth of the water. This works for severe pasty butt too which can kill a baby.

Back
Top Bottom