Does this little one look OK??

NorthernMIFlock

Songster
5 Years
Jun 25, 2018
Northern MI
I’m on day 21 with my first incubator clutch. 4 hatched overnight and this one has been working on the same area since I checked them at around 4am. It is making movements like it’s eating the membrane and the hole has gotten a tiny bit bigger. The others just quickly zipped on out when they got to this stage. Is there anything I need to do? Thx for any insight/knowledge

Attachments

• IMG_8803.jpeg
    IMG_8803.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 21
I’m on day 21 with my first incubator clutch. 4 hatched overnight and this one has been working on the same area since I checked them at around 4am. It is making movements like it’s eating the membrane and the hole has gotten a tiny bit bigger. The others just quickly zipped on out when they got to this stage. Is there anything I need to do? Thx for any insight/knowledge
Um I would give it more time , this is Normal!

Now if In eight more hours goes by and it hasn't moved then there might need to be different actions taken

When the chick starts zipping they make rhythmic cheeping sounds and thrust the beak through the shell and then rotate to poke the next spot. You may have watched this on the others that hatched. If this one gets to that stage but continues to poke the same spot on the shell, without rotating, then you know its ready and needs help. I like to make sure it is truly ready by watching it repeatedly poke the same spot for a little while, but not too long. Watch for yawing and chewing motions that indicate the yolk is still being absorbed.

In my experience, a pip hole that big that has been that way for hours and being the last one to hatch, this chick might need you to help. I would check on this one every 20 mins until it was out. A pip hole that big for too long sets up the risk of the membrane drying out. You must wait for the zipping transition. The chick will show you its ready and struggling.

When the chick starts zipping they make rhythmic cheeping sounds and thrust the beak through the shell and then rotate to poke the next spot. You may have watched this on the others that hatched. If this one gets to that stage but continues to poke the same spot on the shell, without rotating, then you know its ready and needs help. I like to make sure it is truly ready by watching it repeatedly poke the same spot for a little while, but not too long. Watch for yawing and chewing motions that indicate the yolk is still being absorbed.

In my experience, a pip hole that big that has been that way for hours and being the last one to hatch, this chick might need you to help. I would check on this one every 20 mins until it was out. A pip hole that big for too long sets up the risk of the membrane drying out. You must wait for the zipping transition. The chick will show you its ready and struggling.
I came back to look at the egg and it’s def bigger! This is right now

Attachments

• IMG_8804.jpeg
    IMG_8804.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom