Does this look like frostbite? Black tissue on toe

scooby074

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 24, 2013
Does this look like frostbite? Our big girl Pancake has been having a hard time lately. She's been attacked by one of the other girls in the flock and got bloodied https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/858096/help-chicken-attacked-and-bloodied-by-another.

Now this black tissue seems to be getting worse (or at least Ive noticed it more since she's been inside recovering from the attack).
She had this tissue damage prior to the attack. We had a real cold spell here (-25*C). It was around that time that I noticed the black tissue. That was about 2 weeks ago maybe?

I treated it with 10% iodine solution today. It was her first treatment.

Is there anything else I should consider??

i havent seen tons of frost bite but that just doesnt look like it to me. i would treat her for bumble foot. it definitely looks infected. see the red just a bit farther up and in the nail? i look for her to lose that nail and it may take a while but she should be ok. i think its injury

You might consider getting some Vaseline/petroleum jelly on that and then wrapping it tightly with wound dressing. Keep that hen warm! And u probably should take her to a vet. It's probably frostbite. Treat it as if it was a human getting frostbite do some research about frostbite in humans and what to do. It's the same treatment, the vet just wants to charge you a lot more than necessary.

Treating it with Iodine solution seems to be working. Its definitely starting to look better. Redness is reducing. Ill update with pictures when I can get here to stand still, lol.

When a chicken gets frostbite on the foot and out to the toe it will lose its nail but whats funny sometimes the toe grows back. I made a quick video on how to keep the frostbite off the roosters comb I will post it. I have had chickens for 20 years I have everything from orpingtons to Ayam Cemani pure breed, I have laughing chickens and many more. Try vasoline it works. Watch my video.

When a chicken gets frostbite on the foot and out to the toe it will lose its nail but whats funny sometimes the toe grows back. I made a quick video on how to keep the frostbite off the roosters comb I will post it. I have had chickens for 20 years I have everything from orpingtons to Ayam Cemani pure breed, I have laughing chickens and many more. Try vasoline it works. Watch my video.
Toes do not grow back if lost to frostbite. Chickens cannot regenerate limbs lost.

Last edited:
I have chickens that lost toes and yes they are growing back DEPENDING on how bad frostbite is, was. I will post a picture on a bird I have with the toes growing back. I have had birds feet swell up with water after the feet completely Froze soild they could not move there feet or walk, FROZEN Like a pop or ice after thawling the feet the blistered beyound and for I week I brought the bird inside my house. Its toes fell out and some of the toes are GROWN Back. Nature is nature and some have not grow back on other birds. You are right to a point.

I have chickens that lost toes and yes they are growing back DEPENDING on how bad frostbite is, was. I will post a picture on a bird I have with the toes growing back. I have had birds feet swell up with water after the feet completely Froze soild they could not move there feet or walk, FROZEN Like a pop or ice after thawling the feet the blistered beyound and for I week I brought the bird inside my house. Its toes fell out and some of the toes are GROWN Back. Nature is nature and some have not grow back on other birds. You are right to a point.
Toes DO NOT grow back,what you may be seeing is healthy tissue growing,but once the toe falls off it does not regenerate.

Are you talking about toenails,toes and toenails are different.

Last edited:
Ok I see what you mean sorry about real sorry about the confusion very sorry. The toe nail not the whole toe lol dummy me,lol sorry again. I have seen the toe nail only grow back in chicks not older birds, chickens. I have silver laced Barnevelders roosters, that lost a toe nail and he is not growing the toe nail back, me a greenfire farms are the only ones to have these birds so far. The baby chicks I hatched black orps lost there toe nails from freezing are growing there toe nails back, I was puzzeled when I seen this myself them toe nails growing back, thank God. I thought I was going to put the chick down, my heart couldn't do it, with the frozen feet but the chick can walk fine now and its toe nails are growing back after falling out and I am amazed cause its feet were beyound frozen. I can say toe nails do not grow back in older birds from what I am experiencing but in baby chicks from what I have delt with they are growing back very stubby but they are there.
Thank you very kindly for your input and have a great day and I am very sorry about the confusion on my part. The only thing I have ever seen grow a leg back was a Muskrat when I use to trap, lol.
Dale

Back
Top Bottom