Does this look like mites?

egglicious

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
I noticed my little RIR bantam had a little bit of what looks like dry skin or something on her face. Is this mites or lice? She is acting fine but I just want to be sure...

90790_2011-10-16_09-38-21_451.jpg

Ps - Isn't that a scary picture? Lol.

hard to tell from the pic, but I would take a cotton swab, and put vaseline on the feathers near her face and comb to try to smother them just in case if I were you.

Thanks I may just do that... just to be more specific I am speaking of the white stuff around her beak and between her eyes. Never noticed it till I looked at this picture..

Pick her up and turn her over on her back, spread the feathers around the vent area, that is where the mites like to be, due to the moisture. I was shown that and how to check if your pullet is ready to lay, that is a little bit to difficult to explain you have to be shown. My NPIP tester was very informative.
Michele

It could just be from where feathers are growing in. My Welsummer had that but I checked it out and it was actually the feather casing that flakes off once the feathers grow long enough.

Mites can be more readily seen under the wings and more so around the vent as is with lice look for them at the base of longer feathers near the vent, their eggs will be on the quil or feather shaft's and they will be white and kind of clumped together.

Hold her with two fingers between her legs and the other two on either side of each leg and her head facing your armpit. If you use your hand (the one that is holding her legs) to tilt her head downward and her vent upward, she will raise her tail to balance. This will give you a perfect (if that's what you want to call it) view of her vent. You would see mites crawling around her vent. Then you could check on her saddle and neck by gently moving the feathers the wrong way. Louse eggs look like tufts of cotton or fungus on the shafts of her feathers and you can find these on legs and in the vent area. If you don't see any of these signs, she is probably just growing new feathers in after or before molting.

Thank you all for your posts. I will check her tomorrow but I am sure now that what I am referring to is not mites or lice! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom