Does this look like pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by psimons2004, Dec 14, 2011.

1. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    This is my poor bantum roo that I thought had frost bite.... It has been a week since that post.
    I found him as a bloody mess and tried to clean him up, he had def. been pecked at. Now he hides under our broody
    hen and won't come out. I have decided he is scared of the silkie roo and that is likely who has been picking on him.
    Today he got scared and literally jumped into my arms... (It was kind of cute), but his comb looks AWEFUL now!
    It is def. getting infected and so I have reapplied neosporin and alternatley bag balm (which actually seems to help even more), but does it look like pox?
    None of the others have any signs of it and his is so bad I assume it would have spread by now if that's what it was. Anything else it could be?
    Thanks.
    Day One:
    [​IMG]
    after 1 week:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It definitely looks like pox or something else that is fungal. [​IMG]

I don't know though. I have never seen this even on the most picked on in my flock. The first picture he looks like a real mess!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    I would say it is not Pox. Get some Blucoat and put it on his red parts to help prevent pecking and help with healing.

4. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Quote:Thank you - he seemed to be doing well and the broody hens protects him like nothing I have ever seen. In fact just this morning I was asking I could bring him in with her when she hatches her eggs because he is literaly sittting under her with her 5 eggs. He's so funny - totally regressing, LOL. But if he is infected the last place I want him around eh chicks. I will try the blucot thing and the bag balms seems to heavily discourage pecking too, they really don't like it! Thanks.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't imagine pox in Cheyenne this time of year. Maybe he got kicked out of the coop and frost bitten? You've had some really cold nights recently from this cold front, haven't you?

6. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Pox doesn't bleed right? Unless they were ripped off by pecking? His are definetly scabbed but I have thouroghly studied all the pox photos I can find on here and really his aren't 'warty' looking at all, they don't stick out...

7. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    It looks more like injuries; possibly from the silkie roo attacking him.

8. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Quote:We had -4 the morning I found him like this. I was pretty sure that it was frostbite that just got pecked at, but on here EVERYONE disaggreed with me. I still think that's what it looks like, but... I duno. And we really didn't have any mosquitos even this summer here! But we have TONS of wild birds, etc. so I guess its not impossible. Seems like the wrong time of year anyway, but I have no idea what else it could be... Hate to pass around something even worse if it's not just an injury...

9. alliandme

alliandme Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    North Queensland
    I'd say it isn't pox, but it looks more like a scab. If you can catch him, gently feel it, and just make sure you can acsess a vet if needed.
    Maybe try putting some antiseptic cream such as Savalon, or get some from the pet shop or vet.

10. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I agree its either injuries or maybe something fungal? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by