Does this mean I may have an egg soon? Update-

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
Well I technically have gotten one egg from my WL last Sunday. No more since Sunday.

My little Jap. Bantam has been in the hen house, by her self for the past two hours. She keeps getting in a nest box and getting on a golf ball and pushing it under her body and laying on it. She will lay on it for a bit and then get out of the nest box and either walk around or get up on the roost for a bit. This has been going on like I said for a good 2 hours.
Does anyone know what she might be doing? I was hoping she is getting ready to lay an egg? Maybe just some practice going on?
TIA

eta She is 20 weeks old.

UPDATE- Well she laid an egg. I just checked a few minutes ago and there was a tiny little egg under her. Is it normal for the chicken to sit on the egg for a while? I feel bad taking it away from her because she seems to be enjoying it quite well.
wink.png

Last edited:
Sure sounds like you ought to be expecting an egg from her soon!

Don't get discouraged if you don't see one for a day or so, though. I had one bird that acted that way for several days before laying her first egg. I felt so sorry for her, as she obviously felt it was coming!

I figured something was up with her. She has been going off by herself a lot. They free range. She never is one to go in the chicken house and stay there during the day.
Kinda strange question I guess, but I will ask.
I have noticed her little "rear end" is swollen a bit. It doesn't seem to be really red or anything, just kinda puffy. Is that normal?

You know, most of my chickens are silent about laying. I just notice they hang around the nest a lot. I don't mess with the chicken tractor ones. I go outside a lot to check for eggs, feed the livestock, do hay and water so I'm out a lot. I just make a mental note of who's "missing" from the run in the coop. When they return to the run I check the box and there's almost always an egg. Otherwise, if they're all in the run I just check to be sure no one slipped in and laid when I wasn't expecting it.

Back
Top Bottom