Does this sort of feather always mean frizzle?

Nonny

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Lacey is meant to be a light sussex but when I put these pics in the Raising Chicks part of the forum it was suggested she might have some frizzle in her. The supplier said if she comes through all white then maybe there was indeed a mix-up, but a few days later and I can see she's definitely got specks of black coming through so apparently she's not a frizzle.

Is there another reason for these weird looking feathers? Is there such thing as a Light Sussex Frizzle? Could she be another breed altogether? The black is coming through on her wings, but I thought light sussex only black on the tail and around the neck?

She has hardly developed any feathers at all over three weeks, only the wings are through, not even a sign of a tail yet. The others I got at the same time have wings, back, chest and tail feathers already.

These pics were taken a few days ago. The last one is from today with her coop mates (same age as her) which shows the black coming through better.

91980_back_view_2_619x1024.jpg

91980_front_view_864x1024.jpg

91980_side_view_887x1024.jpg

91980_side_view_2_768x1024.jpg

None of my frizzles have feathers that look twisted around like hers does. I wouldnt worry about black in the wings as a chick. After a molt or two she should look like she's suppose to, if she is indeed that breed. I've had chicks that have soild white wing feathers, that are a soild black breed when grown.

What makes you think boy? This chick is four weeks old in a couple of days and still has no noticeable comb and really skinny legs. She's been slow to feather upo compared to the others, but she was also sick for her first week with cocci. There are only two that we are unsure on gender still.... the Barnevelder and the Ancona. We have never had any doubt that Lacey was a girl.

Frizzle is not a breed but a type of feathering. Any breed can be a frizzle but they are most common in Cochins (which is what most hatcheries have). The feathers appear more broken than curled but it is possible that your chick is frizzled. It's possible that the feather shafts are weak due to the illness the chick just came through and will come in normal once the chick molts the existing feathers out.

too soon to tell... but my babies did grow their wing feathers first... the twisting is weird.. does seem like it could be a frizzle or a silkie or somekind like that... my chicks have straight feathers, but they are sometimes fluffy looking.. maybe you just got a super fluffy chicken? it could maybe comb its feathers soon and it will fix itself? wow, interesting. google image: this is what your chicken may look like when it's older: http://www.brbpoultry.co.uk/CPCOCK.jpg

What makes you think boy? This chick is four weeks old in a couple of days and still has no noticeable comb and really skinny legs. She's been slow to feather upo compared to the others, but she was also sick for her first week with cocci. There are only two that we are unsure on gender still.... the Barnevelder and the Ancona. We have never had any doubt that Lacey was a girl.
The slow feathering... roos can carry 2 doses of this and that really slows down their feathering... but could be because it was sick, let us know in time if it's still lacey or larry.

I have had chicks start off with that kind of feathering, but were not frizzle. I think that its because some don't preen that much, and if they did, the preening would take the sheath off their fast growing feathers, causeing them NOT to stick out like that and look messy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom