DOES THIS SOUND BIZARRE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mtnhomechick, Jul 23, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    As mentioned in an earlier post........one of my teenagers died tonight. Got knocked out and died. She looks like she's sleeping. But alas......no heart beat. Took the stethescope to her and nothing.

I took the opportunity to examine her for anything else health related such as mites, etc. Nothing. A beautiful healthy looking girl.

My strange question........I just ordered 25 meat birds today and they will arrive on Friday. I was wondering since the bird is wrapped in a bag in our freezer til garbage day.......if I should use her for practice.

See, I have never culled a bird before and I am somewhat anxious and hoping I can actually do this deed.

So, what do you all think.........should I take her out tomorrow and practice? After she thaws of course......or is that sick and am I a sicko?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I think that sounds like a GREAT idea! Don't know if I'd eat the meat though...

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Gosh NO.........I meant for training purposes only.

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    OMG I thought you were talking about a human until I got to the second paragraph. I thought you were taking it very well.

I don't think it's sick, if it helps you learn and be able to butcher a bird more humanely, why not? Human medical students practice on other dead humans, and that's considered (somewhat) normal.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:That is exactly what I though at first. [​IMG]

I think it would be a great way to get training!!!

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Actually, if you look at the How To section there's a part about performing a necropsy on your bird if you don't know the cause of death. Sorry about your bird, and I think it's a good idea to practice. It's really not that hard, just don't scald too long or the skin gets cooked!!!

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Man!! I've gotta keep up with the posts around here!!!! I DIDN'T see your other post and I thought your "teenager" was one of your (human) kids til I got further down the post!! I was like..."WHAT!!?? How can she be so blah-zay (phonetic spelling)??!!! [​IMG] VERY relieved to find out you were talking about a chicken!!! [​IMG] As for your question, I don't see why not, as long as you don't expose her cooties to your other chickens. Good luck with your culling experience. Better you than me! [​IMG]

Oh, and I see I wasn't the only one who was fooled. hehehehe

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  8. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:So Sorry..........that was unintentional and I guess it's a sign that it's late and I'm tired. That is what WE call them here......our girls. The big one's and the teenagers. My mistake.......wow it does read that way tho.[​IMG]

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Sounds pretty sick to me but then again, I see my chickens as companions not dinner.
    This would be a good topic for the meat birds section since you are planning on butchering [​IMG]

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Sounds like a great idea to me. You get to learn chicken anatomy from handling a dead chicken, you get to find out if you can do it yourself, and you make use of dead animal that would have gone in the trash. Not sick, but very practical, good thinking!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by