Does this sound right? Need advice.

So sorry about Sadie.
hugs.gif

Oh, no, Dylan! I am so sorry! I'm scared to death to let mine out of the run anymore until my DH or I can kill the GIANT sized hawk that terrorized me and the chickens yesterday. Even Brandy just froze, and I had thought she was good at taking cover. If I hadn't have been standing right there, I think I would have lost one yesterday afternoon around 4:30. It is so hard to predator proof large areas. I wish we could all afford zoo aviary setups. Our hearts and prayers are with you.

Today I went back out to Holly Springs and got two more chickens. He told me a Hubbard something or other, which is huge for its age, and another Barred Rock. I just put them in the coop and they got along very well. Brown Chicken, which we've recently named Zoe, was doing this strange dance where she'd put out her wings, roll her head around, and stamp her feet. It was odd, but they all go along. I feel a little better today, and even better that Zoe has some friends again. She hid under her coop all day without Sadie. While I do feel better, nothing will make finding a pile of feathers in the back yard any easier. I feel like a bit of a failure for killing one of my babies after having them for only about a month. I'll be going to the hardware store tomorrow to get supplies so I can fortify my chicken's stronghold. Thanks to everyone for your support.

-Dylan

Quote:
It is AGAINST THE LAW to kill a bird of prey. If you have hawks, keep you chickens in a covered area or accept some losses. Do not kill birds of prey. They have to find their own food, no one feeds them layer pellets every day.

This is a sore spot for me. I worked in raptor rehab for several years out of college. Protect your birds, do NOT kill hawks.

Quote:
It is AGAINST THE LAW to kill a bird of prey. If you have hawks, keep you chickens in a covered area or accept some losses. Do not kill birds of prey. They have to find their own food, no one feeds them layer pellets every day.

This is a sore spot for me. I worked in raptor rehab for several years out of college. Protect your birds, do NOT kill hawks.

Thanks for the heads up Raindrop. I had no idea! Sorry.

Don't worry, I wasn't planning on trying to kill anything anyway. I don't think I could kill anything. Maybe a mosquito.

-Dylan

Sorry Dylan. It is terrible to lose a chicken to a predator. I can understand that you feel like a failure, but you shouldn't. How is your little brown pullet doing on her own? I hope she wasn't too traumatized. We had a coyote (or coyote/dog mix maybe) come once, in broad daylight while I was across the property in the garden. By the time I got there it was too late for one of my hens. The others were so scared, they were all in the house and wouldn't come out. I gave them treats and they were fine after a day. I felt terrible too.

My brown chicken, Zoe, stayed under her coop all day. It's raised off the ground a bit, so she just hid underneath. She seemed scared. When I brought her new friends home, she perked up quite a bit. I just got in from checking on them and they were all sleeping next to one another on their roosting pole. Hopefully she'll come happily down her ramp tomorrow morning when I open it to show her new friends all her favorite worm spots. I'm going to take some pictures tomorrow. I need help figuring out what kind of hen the tan one is I got.

-Dylan

Back
Top Bottom