does type or color of light bulb matter to increase light hours

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AbbyDog, Nov 4, 2011.

1. AbbyDog

AbbyDog Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Hi,

I am considering giving my birds an extra couple of hours of light a day (their coop is behind a fence and gets dark quicker) but I need to know if the wavelength/color/wattage of light matters. Can I use a florescent bulb? Is 14 watts ok? What about LEDs? Do people use a timer, and if so, do you start 'daylight' earlier, end it later, or both?

I'd love to hear from others on this.

Thanks!

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just used a normal light bulb and left it on for a couple extra hours each night.I dont think the type of light it that important. This also gave me a little extra daylight to get the chores done and did seem to help.

3. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have had great luck with a 40 watt regular incandescent bulb (the old timey kind, not the spiral one) on a timer. Ours comes on at 3:30 a.m. and goes off at 7:30 a.m. It comes back on at 5:30 p.m. and off again at 6:30 p.m. We had only one of our 22 week old chickens laying when we put the light in three weeks ago. Now all are laying, and today we got an egg from all of them. YAY!

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by