1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does your hen have spurs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Aneesa's Muse, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I was always pretty sure that spurs were a "guy thing" ...err, I mean a "roo thing" [​IMG] ...but I saw some tale of a hen with spurs on the net yesterday..

....so now I am confuzzled again. [​IMG]

Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Chickens are not black and white. Each is a little different, so there is always going to be some conflicting information.

Some breeds of hen do have spurs. They don't normally get as large as a roo's spurs. Our White Face Black Spanish and Gold Penciled Hamburg both have small spurs. In fact our WFBS, Eleanor, recently cracked one of her spurs. She ripped the bandage off when it was healing, and now one grows up instead of out. [​IMG]

HTH

edited: now if I could just type [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    All my 10 week olds (6 of them) have little bumps on their legs where spurs would be. They were sexed when I bought them and are all supposed to be hens. Not sure..but I guess we will wait and see.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All chicks have that bump, so dont worry too much. Spurs dont come till maybe 8-9 months old. I do have one hen with spurs.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Had one Hamburg Bantam hen with spurs...from what I got from Jim LaGendre, an excellent breeder of Hamburgs said that the spurs do pop up in hens due to genetics. Nothing wrong with them but can not be shown. You can use them in breeding stock.

6. ChinaChicks1

ChinaChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    NE Oklahoma
    hens with spurs just have a higher level of testosterone..and yes the spurs can get quite large sometimes. Genetically they can skip a generation, but show up the next..no biggie.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Actually there's no reason a hen with spurs can't be shown. It is neither a defect nor a disqualification.
    I made a Langshan hen Champion Large Fowl at a show last year.

8. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks, folks!! [​IMG]

I guess, seeing spurs on my friend's "hens" isn't a "roo stamp" after all, then. She'll be happy to hear that ...as she's not quite ready for the roo side ....err, the wild side ..of urban chicken'dom [​IMG]

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Slifer had 2 inch ones...
    Obelisk just grew one on her left ankle this past year.

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have 1 RIR hen with spurs, they're 1" long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by