Does your hen love you?

fluffy07

Songster
Jan 30, 2021
When I started my flock I did not understand how close a relationship a human could have with a bird. We both seemed such different beings. Over the years I have learned better. My big, black, beautiful senior hen loves nothing more than to stand beside me, and peck my boots. If I am wearing ankle boots she will put her head inside the top. When she is sitting on the perch she will peck my arm to tell me to pass the food bowl to her. My big, buff Orpington will call me, if she wants the food bowl. All are happy to be stroked on their breasts. There is a relationship which I had never expected.

Attachments

• Scampi and me - the Mum.JPG
    Scampi and me - the Mum.JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 4
When I started my flock I did not understand how close a relationship a human could have with a bird. We both seemed such different beings. Over the years I have learned better. My big, black, beautiful senior hen loves nothing more than to stand beside me, and peck my boots. If I am wearing ankle boots she will put her head inside the top. When she is sitting on the perch she will peck my arm to tell me to pass the food bowl to her. My big, buff Orpington will call me, if she wants the food bowl. All are happy to be stroked on their breasts. There is a relationship which I had never expected.
This is true. All of my hens have different personalities, all are friendly, some will get right up close. One of mine would jump on my shoulder. One will jump up on my lap. All of them know their names. If I say the name of one, that one will answer back, and so on... Chickens are very fun and personable! I have a mixed flock.

Back
Top Bottom