Does your "house rabbit" get outside time?

Country Heart

City Girl With A
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
San Jose, California
Just wondering...for those of you who have a "house rabbit"...Do you give your bun outdoor time?

If yes, how much and under what conditions?
If no, what other things do you do to provide the same type of stimulation?

Thanks in advance for sharing.
smile.png

Yes, in a pen or on a halter. I would like for my new English lops to be certified as therapy animals, so I will be starting to take them on socialization trips soon, but just having new people come to your house and meet and greet is fun for any bunny that enjoys the company of humans.

I feel it is important for most animals to get natural sunlight (something I wish I got more of myself), so for animals that can't be trusted outside, I at least prop a screen in a window and let them bask. My rabbits, pigeons, and cats especially looooove basking in the squares of sunlight that hit the floor and couch!! There are also games you can play with rabbits (google will be of help there), and any animal usually has their life enhanced by species-appropriate enrichment. For indoor only pets, training/teaching 'tricks' usually produces quality bonding time and mental stimulation for many animals. Sand or dirt boxes to dig in, different materials to choose from to chew, food scattered and hidden, etc. are all good ways to provide enrichment to an indoor only bun.
thumbsup.gif

when i had my holland Nilla (RIP) i trained her to wear a harness becuase i wanted to take ehr outside but then after hearing horror stories from other rabbit owners i chickend out people telling me how they had there rabbits slip out of the lead or chew thru it in a second and run off or how they got mites,lice and fleas,got sick eating grass with gasoline from the lawn mower on it. i mean i know those things are not always going to happen but it scared me!

Hey Chairity, when I was ten years old, my (English) Netherland dwarf slipped out of his halter. I was sobbing and panicking...but then noticed he wasn't going anywhere. Bent down, and scooped him up. XD When tame, many rabbits won't really run off, especially if you handle them often and don't teach them that running away=do whatever I want time. Halters have gotten a bit better since I was a kid, and I've also learned how to properly fit them. A good quality harness is not easy to chew through. Teaching your rabbit to come when called is also helpful.

I never treat my lawn and use an old school motor-less grass cutter to mow it. If you do anything to your yard though, yeah, definitely don't want them out there. Got to watch them, watch what they munch, watch for any parasite problems (which can be easily treated...thankfully, dry climate here so no dreaded ticks or fleas...yay!). There are also preventatives, and anyone with other animals spending time outside (dogs, cats, etc) may find fleas and such tracked home to the inside animals. Store bought animal feed and bedding also tend to be what brings mites in, so it's never a bad idea to freeze before use.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom