Dog attack. Exposed Crop.

Is there any skin on either side that can be pulled back over the crop?

What does it look like below the crop - can you see inside the abdomen?
Yes. I didn’t want to disturb it for a photo but you can see a lot exposed. A lot of skin has been removed.

Hi y’all. Our girl was attacked by a dog last night. A huge amount of feathers and skin were torn off from her front leaving her crop completely exposed/ looks enlarged and the area around it also exposed. She is awake moving around a little and drinking water. We have cleaned the wound out, put antiseptic on it and given her some antibiotic. She still seems to be in shock. As we do not have the money for a vet I am wondering will it be more humane for us to put her down or should I attempt to continue looking after her. Is it possible for an area of skin so large ( about the surface area of a tennis ball) to be completely removed exposing her insides to heal. Thanks for any advise.
Yes. I didn’t want to disturb it for a photo but you can see a lot exposed. A lot of skin has been removed.
There is not much skin left at all to pull back over or stitch
Thanks, I have read that feeding coconut oil and massaging can help it to empty maybe I will try that tomorrow if it is still swollen
Is the skin still intact underneath her leading to the abdomen.

I would give her coconut oil and plenty of fluids but would be very careful massaging the crop since it's really exposed. Hopefully you will find it empty this morning.

Let's get @Eggcessive and @coach723 to take a look as well.

1610975122594.png

I have not dealt with such an injury. I would try to see a vet this morning just to see if they can pull some skin over the crop and stitch it. That looks to be a pretty serious injury, and I am not sure if the skin is completely missing, if she could survive. I would keep her separated and use some Vetericyn on the wound.

If a vet is an option I would do so for this. I've never had a fully exposed crop like that before. My concern would be it drying out. It needs to remain soft/moist so that it can function properly, stretching and contracting throughout the day. I would apply some plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to help keep it moist until you can have her seen. Most wounds that are missing a lot of skin do eventually heal up well as long as there is no infection, but it takes time. I'm not sure about this one since the crop is so fully exposed. More risk of infection, and really puts the crop at risk.

Back
Top Bottom