Dog attack....help!

I cannot advise on the medical issues but the dog needs to be removed from your property. Owners, animal control, or a bullet. Any of the three can be the proper answer. Dogs have been my worst problem and the animal control folks here have been helpful.
His owner is our cousin and the dog is just 10 months old. He and we are taking proper steps to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I'm so sorry! :( In my opinion, the gash looks large enough that putting her down is probably the best answer. It is always so hard when our pets get injured or sick and we have to make that difficult decision. I hope your cousin and you can work it out so that it doesn't happen again. Once when we had neighbors, one of their dogs jumped our run fence (roughly 6 ft) and wiped out the entire flock. After that we strung electric wire around and didn't have any more problems. Would a similar setup work for your situation? Or are they free range? Again, I am so sorry for your loss and your injured hens!

I'm so sorry! :( In my opinion, the gash looks large enough that putting her down is probably the best answer. It is always so hard when our pets get injured or sick and we have to make that difficult decision. I hope your cousin and you can work it out so that it doesn't happen again. Once when we had neighbors, one of their dogs jumped our run fence (roughly 6 ft) and wiped out the entire flock. After that we strung electric wire around and didn't have any more problems. Would a similar setup work for your situation? Or are they free range? Again, I am so sorry for your loss and your injured hens!
Salmon is not doing good, her injuries are worse the I thought. I had wrapped her neck and chest up with a wet bandage to get the woodshavings off of her. My daughter just found out she is now bleeding. Her crop is also gone, there is just a small amount of the crop there. I don't know if she will last the night.
Thank you for all your help with this.
Our birds are all free range. We live in the middle of nowhere and this is the first time any animal, domestic or not, has attacked our birds.

Well an update...I did some surgery on her and she is still around. She my never be able to eat anything but mush. But she is alive and my daughter is happy that she is doing well and loving all the attention she is getting!

Another update...

Salmon and Trout are all healed up and back in the flock!
Salmon, the worse of the two, has a small bare patch where the injury was, but other than that, she is back to normal!
chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
Thank you all so much for the help with the hens, it is greatly appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom