Dog attack... lost 8 birds.

Thanks everyone... I'm still very upset, but I'm mostly over it now. Moving on. I'm going to build a better coop and run this summer and have it ready for the spring. The dog won't be getting into that, I'll see to it. Speaking of the dog, I read the municipal code regarding the issue. Vicious or dangerous dogs are not allowed in the city limits. A dog becomes classified as vicious or dangerous after a bite. A bit on a human or animal is the same in the eyes of the law. So I could pursue have that dog removed from the neighborhood. I won't, so long as I am satisfied with the facilities in which the dog is kept. Canine at large and dog attack are classified by the code as class C misdemeanors, which carry fines up to $600 and 30 days in PRISON. They are in pretty deep poop. Hopefully they will learn their lesson about how it's not my responsibility to keep YOUR dog out of MY yard.

Update about the chickens... One of the Golden chickens, AKA: Orange, who I thought was going to be fine, turned out to not be fine. There was a bite wound underneath her feathers that I could not see. In a matter of a day, the wound had festered and got infected. I left her alone for another day to see if she could pull through. When I came out to check on her in the morning, she was lying with her face in the dirt, barely alive. I put her down and buried her next to her sisters. Black had probably the worst wound, but my efforts to treat her with antibiotics seems to be working so far. She finally came out of her nest box and started to eat and drink. I've got her wound covered with gauze and wrapped a bandage around her whole body to keep the gauze in place. She looks terribly silly, but she seems to be okay with it.

Either way... I've got to learn from this experience and try to keep it from happening again. I love chickens, I think they are the best pets ever.

Please be sure to let you neighbor know it's a class c felony and what the punishment would be, also that the dog biting the chickens is considered a dangerous animal NOW.

OMG!!!! That is one amazing chicken!!! GO..Go Black beat that attach...Go Go Black.. beat that attach!! I guess that is what you would call "One Tough Ole Bird" I am very sorry for your loss, what a horrible thing to happen. Rest in peace to your sweet little feathered angels.

sorry for your loss the same thing happened to me last week but only it killed all 14 chicks and didnt eat any of them they were still in the brooder ones i just hatched out

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
Way to go Black. Good job healing keep it up.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom