Dog Attack - Need Advise


12 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
My neighbors dog got into my yard and it appears to have either injured one of my birds or she injured herself trying to hide. She is limping BADLY on her right leg. I have inspected her all over and find no blood or obvious injury. I am taking her to a vet in a few minutes that takes birds but who knows if they know about chickens. Any advise on what to do to help her or anything I can give for pain would be greatly appreciated. I have a cage I can bring her in to but I am not sure I should stress her more by removing her. Please offer advise peeps!
You may have already gotten your help at the vet by now but I rehabbed one of my girls from a bad dog attack also. The more serious problems comes from what you can't see on the outside. Mine had mussel/tissue trauma were her skin was torn from her under wing area. I took her in to the basement to recover. I treated her visible wounds with Veterciyn a very strong antibiotic. I keep the wounds clean and feed her yogurt, tuna, and greens with grains. I was told by a wise member to smell her areas for infection smells. Anything that doesn't smell like chicken. And if I did to get some penicillin at the Ag supply store. So she got shots in the breast for 4 days. It took a month but she did recover and gained top of the pecking order. Hard life makes even birds tuff. Keep us posted and let us know how she is doing. P.S. Plus lots of prayer. My animals are my kids.
The vet took x-rays and she has a small crack at the hip joint. No visable wounds on the outside but he gave me some antibiotics and some pain meds to give her. She is getting set up in the chicken hospital now and we will watch her closely. If anyone has any other tips on how to help her recover, let me know!
Sounds like you've got it covered for now, but there are some links at the bottom of this post -- the Solutions Used for Poultry includes givin' aspirin for pain, and also the inclusion of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water (but not in galvanized containers), at the rate of four teaspoons to the gallon. This helps to 'cut through' the mucus and coatings, which allows better uptake of nutrients/vitamins and the medications.

Also ... although their dog came on your property? You need a fence, 'cause it's gonna happen again (if not this dog, then another )-;~
Oh we have a fence! They keep digging under and we keep laying cinder blocks. They have to dig under 3 fences to get to where my chickens are. They are all on lockdown for now in their run until we can try something else to keep them out. I have about had it!
Oh we have a fence! They keep digging under and we keep laying cinder blocks. They have to dig under 3 fences to get to where my chickens are. They are all on lockdown for now in their run until we can try something else to keep them out. I have about had it!

My apologies, for my erroneous assumption, and the fact this ... well ... upsets me, puttin' it in much more polite terms.

Not meanin' to stir up trouble, but there's a good chance I'da shot 'em immediately. For certain, my lil' brother woulda ... my farm dogs are rarely contained/restrained, but for good reason: They're workin' dogs, that work very well. And, despite my lovin' my Niko so much? If he were to attack *any* livestock, I'd put him down right after doin' all I could for them. Anything less just ... well ... it's just not right.

Not meanin' to give legal advice, either, but if you're w/in five miles of the city limits of Fort Worth, the following information may prove useful to you. And, if you're not? Feel free to PM me, and I'll help you in any manner that I can. Morally, any reasonable person knows which side of right you're standin' on. But, even if you choose to take no action, it'd be best for you to know *exactly* where you stand legally, which is often entirely different ground.

Based upon their Q 'n A, you *may* be w/in your rights by having chickens. Even if you're not? Their dogs ain't allowed to run loose there.

Health and Public Safety:
Contact: James Agyemang, Animal Control Manager 817/392-3743
Email: [email protected]

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) and how is the ETJ determined?
A. The ETJ of a municipality is the unincorporated area that is contiguous to the corporate boundaries of the municipality. The size of the ETJ depends on the population of the city. The City of Fort Worth’s ETJ extends 5 miles beyond the city boundaries and includes all unincorporated territory that is not located in another city’s ETJ. The Texas Legislature declares it the policy of the state to designate certain areas as the extraterritorial jurisdiction of municipalities to promote and protect the general health, safety, and welfare of persons residing in and adjacent to the municipalities.
Q. How will annexation affect my ability to keep horses, cows or chickens on my property?
A. The City of Fort Worth allows horses, cows, and chickens on property within the city limits. There is a specified square footage requirement per animal. If a resident currently has livestock or fowl on their property, they will be grandfathered in; if the animals exceed the limit as specified by the city, the property will be given a legal, nonconforming designation.
Q. If I sell my property, can the buyer bring in livestock and fowl?
A. The new owner can have livestock and fowl on the property if, at the time of the sale, the property was used for livestock and fowl. The new owner will be allowed to continue to keep the number of livestock and fowl that were present on the property at the time of annexation or the number of livestock and fowl allowed under current ordinance; whichever is greater.
Q. How many animals can I have?
A. A residence may house up to three (3) dogs and three (3) cats.
Q. Will leash-laws apply to my pets?
A. Yes - upon annexation, all city health and safety requirements become effective.
The City of Fort Worth requires dogs to be kept behind physical fences to separate them from the public.
Q. Do I have to get licenses for my animals?
A. The Municipal Code requires that all dogs, cats, ferrets and pot-bellied pigs be registered with the city. All are licensed annually. You may register your dogs, cats and ferrets at most veterinary clinics when you get your pets their annual rabies vaccinations as required by Texas law. Licenses are also available at the Animal Care and Control Center, 4900 Martin St., or by mail. Cost is $7. Pot-bellied pigs have several requirements for registration. Cost is $50. Please contact the division for more information.
Q. What purpose does Animal Control serve?
A. The Animal Care and Control Division protects the community from the threat of rabies and other diseases and injuries caused by roaming animals. The Division does this by promoting responsible pet ownership through education, enforcement and legislation. The Animal Care and Control Center is a full service shelter operated by the Animal Services Division.
Additional information on pet requirements and free educational programs are available through the City’s web page:

And, I apologize for stickin' my nose into your business, most esp. when you're only concern of the moment is most probably gettin' your chicken back to good health (which I'm most hopeful for, as well ~'-)

::edit:: A pit bull? I reckon you could put it between their dogs and your chickens, 'n see what they're bred for ~'-) ::/edit::
Last edited:
Was there an update on your dog attacked chicken that I missed? Hope not news is good news.

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom