Dog attack

beggas82

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2015
Hi, I had a dog attack one of my chooks, it ran around with it in its mouth for about 15 seconds then I managed to get him to drop it,

The chicken has no broken bones, a very small puncture about 2mm long, and i noticed a small amount of blood coming from the vent, also it's limping fairly bad on one leg. I was wondering how well chickens heal and if it has a chance? Given the symptoms. It has had a drink and food since :)

Cheers

They can be pretty resilient to injury. It might be an idea to treat the puncture wound with some kind of antiseptic and keep an eye on the vent bleeding - possibly the latter could be a symptom of internal bleeding? Adding vitamin supplements or electrolytes to their drinking water will help things a little.

Good luck

Ct

They can be pretty resilient to injury. It might be an idea to treat the puncture wound with some kind of antiseptic and keep an eye on the vent bleeding - possibly the latter could be a symptom of internal bleeding? Adding vitamin supplements or electrolytes to their drinking water will help things a little.

Good luck

Ct

@CTKen has given you some good advice.
Do you have a way to separate her, preferable in a warm, quiet place. The vent bleeding is the most concerning, if it is visible and she is not separated, the other chickens will most likely peck or attack her.

Thanks guys, that gives me hope, i had already put in the victim in water but will put antiseptic spray on the puncture. The vent also concerned me most, but it is a very small amount so fingers crossed its not major damage internally, I will separate her and see how she goes.

Thanks guys, that gives me hope, i had already put in the victim in water but will put antiseptic spray on the puncture. The vent also concerned me most, but it is a very small amount so fingers crossed its not major damage internally, I will separate her and see how she goes.

You are most welcome and the best of luck - let us know how she goes.

Ct

Crushing injury to internal organs very likely, possibly with broken bones. Infection very likely to occur. After dealing with many mammal bites I have learned to step in with antibiotics immediately when birds are high value. Also be careful not to overheat bird.

So 10 days later the bird is doing well and lost her limp! I think she is extremely lucky...

Very good news. I had one get attacked by a dog this summer. I took her to vet for about 4 stitches and he gave her Antibiodic. She recovered well too

Back
Top Bottom