Dog attack

gsweeney81

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
Hi, Does anyone have suggestions on how to nurse a 12 week hen. She was attacked by 2 dogs. Her neck is bloody but not bleeding out. Her feathers and skin were ripped off her neck. I can see her neck in the raw:(. I've brought her inside and made her a solution if electrolyte water with 325 mgaspirin/ gal of water. Any suggestions on how to help her. She can walk around, doesn't seem interested in drinking though. I'll try to post a pic.

I'm so sorry to hear about your girl!

The most important things are infection prevention and supportive care at this point.

Since this skin is open I'd avoid too must aspirin just to make sure she clots well.

I would clean it with an iodine/water solution if you have it, if not then saline wash or Veterycin work well too

Once its cleaned keep up an antiseptic 3x daily, blukote or veterycin both work well for this, I personally prefer veterycin but I'm sure theres some on here that prefer others. Whatever the case avoid alcohol and peroxide, both dry the wound too much and peroxide can do more damage to healthy cells than it does to damaged and infected ones.

Create a hospital if you can, a dog kennel works well for this with soft, dry, clean bedding. Keep her around 80 degrees F and make sure she has free access to water.

If she doesn't drink within 24 hours then start supplying the water either beak dripping or if needed tubing. I've found mine with a neck injury prefers the water right at the level of her upper crop so she doesn't have to extend her neck much.

Some electrolytes will help encourage drinking and give her some energy to heal with.

Hope this helps and hope your girl is doing better soon!

AJ

Thank you so much for this information. I tried to add an ovation( sorry if this is a repeat). Do you think I should wait 24 hours to rinse her neck off. I don't want her to get an infection. I'm gonna go first thing in the a.m and get antiseptic. Any thoughts on an antibiotic.

Thank you so much for this information. I tried to add an ovation( sorry if this is a repeat). Do you think I should wait 24 hours to rinse her neck off. I don't want her to get an infection. I'm gonna go first thing in the a.m and get antiseptic. Any thoughts on an antibiotic.

I wouldn't personally pre-treat with an antibiotic, I've had some really bad injuries and never had an infection worse than what she handled on her own. I would clean it ASAP even if its just clean water for now to get any bits of skin and tissue washed away, then trim any feathers around it if you can after 24 hours. I wouldn't pull any feathers with the skin already torn.

If she shows signs of an infection or you smell anything off I would do a spray triple antibiotic and a broad spectrum like penicillin. But again personally I don't like to pre-treat if I don't see signs of infection.

Hope she is feeling better soon.

AJ

Ok thank you, I will hold off for now. I hope she heals. She pecked me good tonight when I picked her up, Imagine she was scared. Hopefully tomorrow I can start treating her and let her rest well. Thanks again for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

On a bright note my little hen is eating and drinking on her own. So happy she is on her way to recovery. I just have to keep her from getting an infection now. Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom