Dog attack!

Jackie-83

Songster
May 26, 2020
Alabama
Please help me! A couple hours ago 3 dogs (no, i dont know whos they are or where they came from.) Attacked one of my chickens. They were out in my back yard, one cackled, i went out to see what the fuss was and 3 dogs were running around the yard. We ran them off and did a head count. I have 8 hens. Only 7 showed themselves. I went looking for Old Bitch but couldn't find her. And she didn't come when i called her. About an hour after the event she showed back up. I looked her over and don't see any wounds, but she seems very tired and is pooping a milky water substance. Shes drinking water, but ignoring feed and scratch. I have put her back in the run with the others because she seems happier there. Should i be doing something for her or just let her rest? Please advise, this is my first time I've had chickens. Aquired them about 10 weeks ago. They were 4-5 months old when i got them.

Please help me! A couple hours ago 3 dogs (no, i dont know whos they are or where they came from.) Attacked one of my chickens. They were out in my back yard, one cackled, i went out to see what the fuss was and 3 dogs were running around the yard. We ran them off and did a head count. I have 8 hens. Only 7 showed themselves. I went looking for Old Bitch but couldn't find her. And she didn't come when i called her. About an hour after the event she showed back up. I looked her over and don't see any wounds, but she seems very tired and is pooping a milky water substance. Shes drinking water, but ignoring feed and scratch. I have put her back in the run with the others because she seems happier there. Should i be doing something for her or just let her rest? Please advise, this is my first time I've had chickens. Aquired them about 10 weeks ago. They were 4-5 months old when i got them.

I’ve had a couple attacked by dogs. My own and strays. Shot the status when/if they showed back up and shock collared mine. Most have survived and one had the milky excrement your talking about. If she seems fine there let her stay or bring her in with hold feed and water over night and keep her in a dark warm place. I use an extra BR in cardboard box.

Oh no! The same thing happened to my favorite chicken not too long ago but with my dog 🙁
I’m not sure about the strange droppings but diarrhea and lethargy can be caused by stress so hopefully that’s the case! I would keep her in a dark place where she can feel safe. She is probably traumatized, poor thing.
If you have any chicken vitamins or electrolyte, that would help as well. Good luck!

Oh no! The same thing happened to my favorite chicken not too long ago but with my dog 🙁
I’m not sure about the strange droppings but diarrhea and lethargy can be caused by stress so hopefully that’s the case! I would keep her in a dark place where she can feel safe. She is probably traumatized, poor thing.
If you have any chicken vitamins or electrolyte, that would help as well. Good luck!
I have VetRX... I put some in their water.

Ok, so aside from the milky poop she seems ok. Shes back to her old self. I've let them out of their run and back into the back yard just so that i could observe them better. If they are in the run they just stand by the fence and beg me to let them out, but if they are in they yard they will do their thing and not pay me as much attention. Honesty at this point, had I not seen for myself what happened, I wouldn't know anything had happened. She's got some poop stick to her butt... and her poop is still milky and runny... but the only reason i know that is because ive been looking. Otherwise 100% normal. Should i quit worring? Im terrified Im going to wake up to a dead chicken!

Back
Top Bottom