Dog attack

Stephh0701

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Florida
We had four 3 week old pekin ducks and the neighbors dog got in this evening and killed 3 of them. I have one left who is almost unscathed but she has a small puncture behind her wing. I've never had a dog attack any of my birds so I'm not sure how bad this is but it looks bad to me. Aside from the fact that she's crying for her other 3 flock mates she seems fine.. I'm just still worried. Is there anything I can do for this? Or do I just let it be? I'm heartbroken for her too. She just lost her whole family and I'm not sure what to do for her.

Attachments

• 20221111_181141.jpg
    20221111_181141.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221111_181144.jpg
    20221111_181144.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 4
You sould wash out the puncture mark with saline, or salty water to clean out the bacteria and if you have an antibiotic spray of some sort spray that on there for some protection

I would flush with peroxide and the saline solution another poster suggested and use a triple antibiotic cream in the wound until it heals. You might be able to get something from your vet or maybe TSC or a CO-OP for poultry.
I certainly hope your neighbor who owns the dog has offered you compensation for your loss.
Sorry that happened. Hope your duck will be ok.

I certainly hope your neighbor who owns the dog has offered you compensation for your loss.
She did. She feels horrible. I don't feel right having her compensate for them though because they're great neighbors and I know they don't just let the dog run loose all the time. I just asked that we can figure out where the dog is getting into our yard and fix it. It's hard because the dog comes over with her husband and her daughter sometimes and so the dog thinks she can just come over I think. She's never bothered our grown chickens but I think with the ducks being slow and unable to fly her instincts kicked in... I feel horrible all around and probably won't get ducks again because I don't feel like we were able to keep them safe... my middle son is crushed because they were his ducks and he loved them... but I can't let what happened happen again to more ducks and we can't figure out how the dog even got on our side of the fence. I'm currently trying to find somewhere for this lone duck to go once she heals up because I know they need companionship.

Back
Top Bottom