dog attack

I am a little scared of neosporin, since if there are germs I don't want them trapped inside

I would definitely consider the neosporin or the walmart equivelant of it. When you apply it to the would it will kill any harmful bacteria/germs (which may be causing heat at the wound site) and should help the wound site heal. You can apply it to the edges of the wound and leave it uncovered to "breath" or you can get some vet wrap and try to cover it after application. If the wound is deep, putting peroxide on is not usually recommended for deep punctures or deep wounds.​

Thank you all for responding. Bertha is gone now. When I went to check on her, she had given up. I know you all can understand the loss. At least she isn't in pain anymore.

So sorry to hear it! How are your children taking it? I had to put one of my babies down that had been failing health wise and my kids cried, but are now very busy with the others that are alive and healthy.

Darn....I'm sorry that she didn't make it...
sad.png

Sorry about your loss. Our dog licked a huge hole in my chickens's side when she was about a year old. I washed it with half peroxide and half water, then used neosporin and gauze on it for about a week and a half till she refused to keep it on any longer. I think if there are teeth puncture wounds the biggest problem is infection. I have also dropper fed a chicken whose neck was almost broken by the dogs till she was able to hold it up again and eat for herself - again about 10 days. We fed her blue green algae out of capsules in water - about 3 capsules and 1/4 cup of water a day. I hope this does not discourage you from trying again if one of your flock gets hurt. A vet is good but not everyone can afford that or wants to spend the money it would cost, and considering many of us eat chicken I don't think anyone can fault those who do not want to pay a vet bill for a chicken.

Oh no-- so sad! I've been following this thread (but as a newbie chick owner had no advice to give), and was hoping for the best. My heart goes out to you and your children.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom