Dog attack

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
I have been watching the neighbors 2 dogs for the past few weeks while he is away at work. I take them to my house during the day so they are not alone or locked up in a kennel. Last night I had brought in a hen who had some foot issues and was fixing to work on them (scaly leg mites) I heard a knock at the door and went in to answer it with the hen in my arms. It was the neighbor guy coming to fetch his monsters. I never trust any dog around my chickens and they have never been around them. The guy was talking to his dogs standing in the doorway with the door wide open. One dog flew out the door while the other stood below me drooling at my chciken. Before I knew it the dog had jumped up and grabbed my poor little rhianna by the foot/leg and was tugging HARD! I gave the dog one hell of a kick but it came back for more, thats when I put the hen out in the garage to see the neighbor off and the dog too! The bird was bleeding pretty bad and was very shocky so I cleaned it up quick like and applied some corn starch to stop the bleeding. I planned to soak her feet today anyway. SHe was walking on it last night but today she is just sitting in the pen like a bump on a log. I am afraid that darn dog broke her foot. Here is what I have on hand. Triple antibiotic without pain reliever, betadine, epsom salt, sterile saline, vet wrap and gauze. Do I need to get something else to ward of possible infection? I am gonna be keeping her in the house for a few days to monitor her, I will get a better look at what I am dealing with here when I soak her foot. I didn't wanna soak it last night because she was bleeding soooo bad. STUPID DOG!

My wife just called and told me a dog dug into one of our pens and has killed 3 of our best chickens. I know how you feel. I am in a daze, and ticked off at the dog and myself. I build the new pen in late summer and did not have time to secure the bottom of the pen very good. But since the ground is almost all rock I did not think anything could dig into the pen. But I was wrong! Now I am mad at myself for letting this happen. Sorry for boring everone with my stupid mistake, just need to let off some seam.

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear about that! I would have been pretty upset!
sad.png

I was away for a week and one of my friends watched my house and animals..well she accidentally let the dogs out with one of my Roosters...Long story short.. one dog had bitten the rooster in the back near his tail and left about an inch and a half bite mark that was pretty deep.. when I got home I looked at the bite myself..it stunk pretty bad and had a maggot in it..I washed the wound out with peroxide and then with water and packed it with Neosporin. next day I went to the tractor supply store and bought TROPHY, EMT gel and it worked soo well. it's all natural with collagen. helps clot bleeding and really healed up my Rooster very well. it is good for keeping infection out because it seals the wound.

hope this was Helpful and that your hen Heals fast.
smile.png

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys
smile.png
She is doing ok but not moving much. I soaked her feet in a weak betadine/warm water solution for about 15 minutes, inspected the wound more and it appears she has one broken toe and a gash on the side of her leg from the teeth scraping across it. She was also missing a chunk of skin and feathers on the side of her foot. I took sterile saline after the soak and flushed out the wound really good. Dried it off with a paper towel and slathered her foot and leg in tripl antibiotic. I then dressed the whole foot in gauze, going between each toe so she was still somewhat mobile and could still scratch her face when needed. I then topped that off with vetwrap and put her in a clean pen in the garage. Seeing as she had the leg mites too I slathered the other leg in vasoline and wrapped it just like the other one to smother those pests
big_smile.png
She is resting comfortably with her favorite roo and a few of her gal pals who are surrounding her with snuggles. It's like they know she is hurt therefor they huddle around her to help her thru the pain. I will leave the dressing on for a few days then soak pack and rewrap again.

Edited to correct my butter finger typos.

Last edited:
Rhianna is just peachy, she healed up in a few days time, no broken bones thankfully! She has been back with the flock outside for a few days now and doing super
big_smile.png
She is scarred for life with dogs now tho. If she happens to see them outside she runs and hides. The dog got ahold of her brand new feathers on her feet and broke some off half way which caused the massive bleed. She did have a chunk of skin missing but the wound healed surprisingly fast.

Back
Top Bottom