Dog Attacked Chicken! Help!

ctofsrud

In the Brooder
May 14, 2015
Colorado
My dog attacked my chicken! It is okay but is okay. Mainly my concern is about a laceration to her back. Some flesh is open and what seems to be her adipose tissue (fat) is showing. Does anyone have any experience treating chicken wounds?! I can post pictures!

She calmed down. The opening is shallow and not very large. Maybe half an inch at most. I have some wound cleanser at home I was thinking of using to try and just keep it clean. I have put her in the coop but she seems able to move around with ease.

Quote: Ok. Will her feathers hide the wound from the other girls?

I would clean it up and, if it's small and hidden from the flock,place her in the coop for the eve. This day is done:)

If the wound is visible you may want to hold her in a get-well-pen for a day/night or two. This would help keep the wound clean ad safe from pecking.

There is a product called bluecoat that basically paints the wound blue to hid it from the other girls. They see red or pink and they will pick.

Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it! The feathers hide it well but I will watch it carefully and maybe even buy some blue coat just in case. Thank you thank you!!!!

You're doing all the work
smile.png
You are welcome.

They are in the coop now? And you did have a pic?

Just check to be sure the other girls aren't pecking at it and that it stays clean. Isolate her if either are a problem. I'm semi-new to this. Had chickens as a kid ( quite awhile ago) and now for two two and a half years.

I am impressed with how tough the girls can be. And they're lots of fun.

They are in the coop now?  And you did have a pic?

I cleansed the wound and then separated her from the other. I forgot to take a picture but will in the morning. It is weeping a bit after being cleaned but not bleeding and the other chicken wasn't pecking that I could tell but I wanted to be safe. There was also an egg in her preferred nesting box! So hopefully she will be right as rain soon. I love my chickens like my other pets and hate to see them injured. I lost my first chicken a few months ago to an untimely demise and it just killed me. This will be the last time they leave their run unattended. Thanks for all the support!

Back
Top Bottom