Dog attacked my duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kynzinicole, Oct 5, 2014.

1. kynzinicole

kynzinicole New Egg

Oct 5, 2014
    My Dog gOt into the duck pen today at attacked one of my ducks. Fortunately I wasn't far behind and I got there as soon as she got one in her mouth I was able to pry her off really fast, but now my duck is limping. Well he tries to walk and falls over then will just lay there. I touched his leg and he didn't pull away or try to bite me and there is no compound fracture. He just looks like he is in a lot of pain. And he can't walk what can I do?!

2. kynzinicole

kynzinicole New Egg

Oct 5, 2014
    He has 2 puncture wounds, but he can't stand up, it doesn't seem like his leg is broken he might just be in shock. But he has a popping noise coming from his rib cage. It's like he is unbalanced. He falls forward.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I posted on the emergencies forum, I will repeat a bit here - clip the feathers near the puncture wounds so you can get a good look, and rinse the wounds well with saline solution or Vetericyn, keep him inside away from flies.

I would let him float in lukewarm water two or three times a day for at least fifteen minutes, not leave him alone at all because with an injury he could have trouble staying upright in the water and drown.

A vet would be best, but I understand that is not always an option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by