1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog Cold

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by fowl farm, Jan 8, 2013.

1. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    I think my dog has a cold. I was just wondering if there was anything I needed to look out for in case it's something more serious?

2. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Dogs don't really get colds like people. Definately if your dog ever stops eating or drinking or it's temp is over 103 call the vet!

3. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    What are the symptoms?
    if your dog is coughing- it could be a sign of kennel cough, heartworm, or a heart condition
    if your dog has a runny nose- thats a sure sign of an upper respertory infection and needs antibiotics ASAP
    if your dog is tierd, not eating or drinking, seems mopey- a trip the the vet is in store as it could be any number of things.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    either way, keep him away from other dogs or areas where other dogs might be!

5. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    We have two 6 month old puppies, and both have symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, runny eyes, breathing through the mouth) that, if seen in a human, might make you want to keep away. They've both been vaccinated, and they rarely cough, so I don't think that's a symptom.Is there anyway of telling if it's really serious from home? They've just been fixed so I don't really want to take them anywhere.

6. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Poor babies.... If they have just been to the vet to be spayed they could have picked something up there? Is their discharge watery or thick? Have you taken their temperature? Only other thing I can think of is have they been in contact with anything that could cause a reaction?

7. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    No to all. We live in the country, so they don't get a lot of contact with strange outside dogs, just some friend's dogs, all of whom are healthy. It's possible they have a low grade fever, but their nose isn't warm and I don't know if I want to take their temp. the "real" way. They had the symptoms before spay. Also, the spay people (we got it done at a spay clinic) gave them a one over before doing anything, so I don't think it's anything serious.

8. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Could be allergies. You can give them Benadryl and see if it helps. The dosage is 1 mg/lb 3 times daily. So if your pups weigh 50 pounds they get 50 mg 3 times daily.

Are they licking their feet?

9. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    No. Is that a sign of something?

10. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    That is usually a sign of allergies, either food or environmental. You can try giving benedryl, or Zyrtec and see if that makes a difference. If not and its food, that can be almost impossible to figure out what the culprit is. Kibble has so many artificial unnecesary ingredients. It would take a couple of months at least on a very limited ingredient diet to see if that helps.

On the other hand, even though the dog has been vaccinated that still isn't a guarentee that they still won't get what they were vaccinated for. Considering your others also have the same symptoms, I would make a trip to the vet to rule out anything health related. Then focus on possible allergies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by