Dog crate as temporary coop?

KendraLeigh

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2020
Hello All! I am integrating 4 chicks (~8wks) in with my flock of 2 pullets (who are about to start laying) and it is slow going. I've been bringing the chicks inside at night but that will not be possible much longer. There's no easy way to block off a part of the coop, so I'm thinking of using a large heavy-duty plastic dog crate as a temporary coop for them. With a lock on the door, will this be secure from predators like raccoons, or can they chew through hard plastic? Thanks!

I put mine in a wire dog crate inside the run so they can do the look but don't touch method befor releasing. If your run or coop is secure and predator proof you can put your crate inside with them if it fits alright.

Thanks you! They are in a separate enclosure inside the run, and I let them out when I am around to supervise as they are getting bullied by the larger pullets. The run is not predator proof but the coop is and this morning I measured my smaller dog crate and it will fit inside the coop! So I'll do that until they hopefully start getting along.

I put my chicks in a large dog kennel on the back porch for a while, before we bought the coop. Lots of cleaning of kennel and back porch:hmm, but no raccoons braved our dog. Cat watched in dismay but took no action against the tasty cat-mouthfuls. Now they are grown and it is too late for him.

Back
Top Bottom