Dog Does not like hens.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I would try to train the dog. All my animals (and kids) get along 100% of the time. I cannot abide an untrained dog. The breed you own has a high rate of training success for protecting animals rather than killing them.

I have great dogs, and in fact they bark at hawks and anything else that gets in the yard that shouldn't be. They sleep by the chicken run and the chickens could care less. The game changes completely if a chicken gets out however. Fortunately my one dog Domino knows "drop it" and did when my little silkie escaped when I opened the run door. She was completely unhurt (freaked out, no surprise) thankfully. If I wasn't there it would've been a completely different story.

My dogs LOVE cats in the house. They understand the rules, they are OUR cats, our buddies. They sleep with them. When the chickens are in the coop and run the dogs love to watch chicken TV. But the game changes completely should they see a stray cat in the yard, or if a chicken gets loose. I realize there is nothing I can do other than to be vigilant, and understand that the instinct and prey drive that many dogs have is natural - and it's up to me to keep my zoo peaceful.

Sorry you lost your hen. I know how hard it is.

I agree 100% with dainerra. I'm working on training my 3rd dog that I've had around chickens. This one is more of a challenge as she really wants to kill them. I just finished my first obedience class with her and we worked a lot on the "leave it" command. This is critical. Now that I have that perfected the command using food (I put food down, say leave it, and when she leaves it alone and looks at me she gets a treat - NOT the treat I put down on the ground, though - she never gets that one), I let one chicken out in the yard with the dog on a leash, walk the dog by the chicken and if she looks at the chicken I say leave it. When she looks away from the chicken and looks at me she gets a treat. I expect to keep working on this type of training for as long as it takes until it becomes automatic.

Although I was proud of myself because I had trained my last 2 dogs being trustworthy around the chickens unattended, I am not sure I will ever trust this one unless I'm around, but we'll keep working on it anyway.

I came into this section to ask this question! Guess I've got my answer. Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. My 5 new hens are secured in a 8x12 foot enclosure. I wanted to let them free range around the garden, but don't think I can trust my spaniel. He is used to the chickens, and spends most of the day lying outside their enclosure when we are out at work. However, whenever I go into the enclosure, he starts to get very agitated and barks madly whenever I pick one of the chickens up. It's as if he's jealous. That's why I'm afraid to allow them out of their enclosure.
sad.png

Hope you find a solution to your problem!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom