Dog EMERGENCY! Poison?

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
I need some help from any dog experts:
My labradoodle is just over 7 mo. Has all shots- neutered - just a happy dog. This morning he was lethargic, no wag to the tail, did not eat b-fast, did not poop. Did pee and drink. Layed around all day, not hungry, just sprauled out. I was able to get him to eat one cup of warm chicken and rice at 4p.m. And he drank water, peed. He has chased DH and DS around the yard - A LITTLE, if they coax.
I am just freaked out because our neighbor's son did time for POISONING A DOG. Haven't seen the son around, but I figured he must have learned it somewhere.
So, a what point should I cart this pup - out of town - to the 24hr. emergency vet??? DH has said he thinks he "might have been poisoned" and has said "if he dies, we'll call the cops". Doesn't exactly inspire me.
HELP! I need a plan now, not if he dies(!)

What color are the gums? Any odd spots on the belly that look like red blotches or like someone took a red magic marker to it? Does your dog have an odd smell to its breath? But I am with the other poster, and I would err on the side of just taking it to the vet, NOW! I lost my best friend, a collie, because my folks did the "wait and see" with him instead of taking him in right away, and I got to watch him slowly suffer and die from strychnine poisening that some psycho fed to him. If it is an impaction, that can be just as deadly and horrible, but a dog that age should not be lethargic. Good luck, and I hope it all turns out for the best.

Please take the animal into the vet. This is not something that we can help you with on here. He needs to see a doctor.

The whole "If he dies, we'll call the cops" will not work unless you can have the Veterinarian verify that the dog indeed died from poisoning.

So either way, you need to see the vet. You would have just as much of a case against the dog-poisoner whether the dog sees the vet alive or dead. I suggest that you take the animal in ASAP, and if it turns out to be poisoned and you can confirm your neighbor did it, then sue them for the vet bill and whatever else, but at least the dog didn't have to suffer.

-Kim

Last edited:
Thank you for all your great comments and help.
I may have over-reacted. The kids said that, yesterday, they saw him eating clumps of stuff (grass) that fell out of the lawn tractor. THEN, he ate a big dinner and pooped. He took a nice walk in the yard. The tail is wagging! We ARE keeping vigil tonight, but it appears that it was just a one day thing (fingers crossed!)
This just goes to prove that evil deeds do not happen in a vacuum. I will always wonder about these people...

I hope he is ok. best way to make them better is to walk through the doors of the Dog ER. As soon as you pay the $100 minimum fee, they usually seem fine
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom