Dog flea combs

newchickgal

Songster
10 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Republic of Panama
My little girl (ok she's almost 6 but still my baby!) has been having a problem with fleas. I've tried things like Frontline, where it is applied to her skin. She doesn't do well with that, she has sensitive skin and reacts to it. I've tried flea collars as well. But I really don't like using chemicals. I did find a good soap to use but of course that doesn't keep the fleas from coming back. I finally started using a flea comb and I am so happy with the results! She does love her baths and now she gets even more love and attention during her bath time. I am happy and she is happy, and much much more comfortable since we are getting the fleas under control. Now if my other dog would just let me do the same thing to him (Sultan is an outside dog and Jazzy is an inside dog). I do plan to work slowly with him.

I am a big flea-comb fan too, glad to hear I'm not the only one, it certainly is not popular these days for whatever reason.

The other great thing about flea combs is that they do a good job of removing loose fur, too, so less shedding
smile.png

Remember to also launder/vacuum/treat household surfaces, or you will just continue to have an ongoing flea breeding program whose produce has to be flea-combed out forever
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Yep, the whole house gets it's own treatment!
smile.png
That's true about the combs getting the loose fur. Our little girl is a shedder. Besides that it makes her feel sooooo good.

Another idea to help minimize the fleas is to place a shallow pan of water and dishsoap near the dog's bed and put a small light on the opposite side of it (not bright enough to disturb her but enough to attract the buggers off of her). As the fleas jump toward the light, they will fall in the water and the soap breaks the surfaces so they sink. We used to have to do this when we adopted a kitten too young for flea treatments who was badly infested with fleas. It was a huge help for him.

I've heard about the light over the dish pan method as well and heard it works.

I like flea comes as well... I used to have an awesome one with a great edge for squashing the little buggers. But my mom borrowed it and now it has been swallowed up by the great abyss... that's my talk for she lost it. I should have known. I haven't found one I like the same.

Plus I like to hear them pop when you squash em.
tongue.png

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

I remember spending hours picking fleas off of that poor kitty and dropping them into the dishpan during the day. They were in his eyes and nose and ears where we couldn't use a comb. He survived it, by the way, and grew up to be a big fat cuddle muffin.
love.gif

We use a flea pill for the dogs, DE outside and also an organic oil.

And I am going nuts because I can't think of the names!
barnie.gif

We use the oil on our little short haired mutt and it works wonderful! You can see the fleas RUN as they try to escape the oil. Plus she smells so good afterwards.
The big dogs with their long fur it doesn't help. Nothing truly helps them 100%. But with the pill and the DE outside it does help to alleviate the problem.

Back
Top Bottom