Dog house as chicken coop?

As I have said, our doghouse coop separates in the center. You just lift up the top to gather eggs. No big deal at all.

As for heat, I am converting a new, thick plastic shed for their new coop, lining the walls with bales of straw for insulation, and not running a light out there.

Here's a pic of the current doghouse coop & run:

CurrentCoop2_.jpg

Here'a a pic of the new coop we are converting for winter:

DadNewCoop_.jpg

Last edited:
Agilityscots, I LOVE that doghouse! I may have to get one of those, toss in a laying box, rig up a roost, and voila! - gorgeous hen house!

And I agree, I don't think it's expensive at all. I suppose if I were clever enough to be able to build one from scratch, perhaps I'd think differently, but for something so lovely that only requires a screwdriver to assemble, I think you struck gold.

Please keep us all updated as to how it goes if you move forward with the purchase! If all goes well, then I'm getting one, too.

Susan

I edited the above post to show my dog house coop and what is being built for winter. Just going to move the dog house inside the new coop, and they can still use it for a communal laying box, which they like.

I see you first started this thread back in May so you probably already have your dog house, but I was just looking at this site too:

http://www.doghouses.com/

I agree with you, I consider anything that would work and is under $300 a total steal, considering the price of lumber and the fact that I am NOT handy. We did build our own run though, and I'm proud of that!

I thought I'd share my doghouse coop with you guys. I posted others on the other doghouse thread.

dhcoop1.jpg

We (DH) just added the nesting boxes on the left, the vents at the top, have it up off the ground and voila - it works pretty well.

be smart, buy , don't build,
I built my own , its 40 inches by 40 inches and four fat hens seem happy, but its ugly and I keep trying to talk my mom (76) into letting me tear it down and buy the albany pet run/coop from ebay.
I had fun building, but the albany was the best design,

20 minutes of construction , yes, and it looks nice! go for it.....

Back
Top Bottom