Dog Housebreaking Problems

I agree back to potty training 101. Our newfie is a trained search and rescue dog . He a outside side dog only. Way to much hair to be inside in my opinion.

He hates being inside anyway. He gets to hot.

Has he always been an outside dog or did you just gravitate that way as he got older? I honestly thought about putting him outside because he's so thick coated but he's a people dog to the core and I can see him howling and crying all day long, he'd be the only dog outside here and I don't think isolating him would solve anything in this case.

No he hasn't. We start all dogs in the house for the first year. Then over a period of time move them to the kennels. Newfies are people dogs, but if you spend a lot of time with him he will be fine. Just take it slow. A dog run and nice house will be perfect. Do not tie him up. These are working dogs first. I would say train him to pull a cart and earn his feed. He helps out, doesn't destroy your house and every bodys happy. Plus no more fur everywhere.

Some dogs just dont get house training. Our labadoodle never did. She was the only one though.

The dogs are inside the first year for housebreaking, basic commands and bonding. Then outside they go.

Quote:
If he will be alone and does cry a lot. a trip to the local shelter for a buddy is the best bet. He gets a friend and a dog gets a home. And still no poo and hair in the house.

I am really sorry this is happening to you. I have always dreamed of a newf but I live in the south and am afraid the weather would be too hot. I have a mastiff puppy

I say

1. Have you had him checked out at the vet? There could be medical issues.
2. Restrict his food intake. Feed him in the morning and at night and then take him out after that cause he will need to pass the food. It is possible that you could be missing his cues. When he does goes praise and reward him. If pee is not his problem, he should be given water at all times
3. The crate idea could be broken. Dogs are naturally denning animals and should not go in their den (the crate) but because he is already accustomed to go in there how about putting him in a small bathroom for the night. I put my mastiff in my bedroom bathroom with a baby gate up to house train him. and when he i felt confident I left down the gate and left him in the room with me with the door closed. Now I can leave the door open and he won't poo. +
Newfs are really smart. If you spend sometime (lots of it) working with him he should be able to be retrained. If you don't have time that is another story.

P.S. I would love to take him......

Quote:
NO!..he's mine!...
smack.gif
gig.gif
..kidding!...i also have a mastiff pup!...just got him this morning!...
love.gif
...have always wanted a Newfie though....LOL..

i still think you should really look into a doggie door for him instead of crating him. Confine him to an area that he can access the doggie door. If it's the kitchen, the laundry room, the garage whatever. Teach him the door and keep him confined. Also check for stress. use calming phermones. If he is sensing the problems between you and your husband, he'll be anxious too.

I forgot to ask. Do you free feed him or twice a day?

If you free feed him you will never know when he has to go out. Feed him once in the morning and once at night. Dogs on average need to go out half hour later. Watch and take him out every ten minutes after he eats. Tell him go potty and when he does praise him for good go potty. Do this until you know how long to wait. You could also bell train him. He rings a bell when he needs to go out. Always use the word outside and the same door when training. Our small house dogs will bark if they have to go out. We ask the question do you need to go outside and if they do they bark.

Back
Top Bottom