Dog is POISONED. Maybe ate a D-Con Mouse. WORRIED.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Junkmanme, Oct 30, 2009.

  1. Junkmanme

    Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

    I took my 4.5 year old Boxer to the Vet and asked for Vitamin K, which they gave my along with some Metronidazole (?). I also got him some gatorade and yogurt.

    He hasn't eaten in about a week. Doesn't drink much water either. Is lethargic.

    I think he has internal bleeding because his liquid stools are black.

    I need to get him to eat and drink.

    ANY SUGGESTIONS ???

    -Junkmanme-[​IMG]
     
  2. Barnyard

    Barnyard Addicted to Quack

    Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Did they pump his stomach or atleast tell you how to do it? That is the first thing my vet told me to do when my dog ate a roach trap...lucky for her there was not enough of the active ingrediant to do any harm.
     
  3. Kansaseq

    Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

    Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Check his gums. Are they pink, or pale? Does he have pinpoint red spots on his gums? How about his belly; any red spots? Pale gums and piticiation (the reds spots) are indications he is bleeding internally. If he is dehydrated enough, getting to him to take fluids orally will not be enough. It sounds like he needs to see a vet NOW. I would not wait. If you have an ER vet, then take him there tonight. His life may depend on it. Good luck.

    Edited to ad that his black, tarry stools are indeed an indication he is bleeding internally, and may need a blood transfusion. I cannot stress enough that he needs medical care immediately. Good luck and let us know how he does.

    Edited again to correct the dog's gender. Sorry! [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  4. Junkmanme

    Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

    THANKS for the replies! I APPRECIATE your sharing my concerns.

    No point in "pumping the stomach". It's empty from puking and runny stools. Apparently He ate the mouse about a week ago.

    I believe that I mentioned that we were at the Vet.

    THANKS again for the replies!

    ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.....especially on getting HIM to eat and drink?


    ??????????????

    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]
     
  5. Barnyard

    Barnyard Addicted to Quack

    Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Sorry...I guess I should have asked, Did they pump his stomach. You are right there is no need for that now.


    If it was my dog, I would "force" fluids by mouth with a syringe. If it was only a syringe full at a time. Every hour or so I would use the syringe and make him drink. Also what are you trying to get him to eat? I know alote of people are against canned dog food, but that may be your only option right now. I would try a mixture of canned dog food and raw egg. Maybe even try feeding him scrambled eggs. Rice is good to....maybe with some chicken broth or something like that for flavor. You may also try to broth over his regular food...just to soften it. At this point anything is better than nothing. I hope he get's better soon.


    ETA: I wouldn't try and make him eat alote at one time. I would feed him alote of small meals/bits many times aday.
     
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  6. NancyDz

    NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    You really need to get fluids in him, I would try chicken broth mixed with some water first if he does okay with that... then add rice, maybe some chicken. Small amounts of the solids since his system is in shock... but increase if he does okay with it...

    Good luck!

    Nancy
     
  7. Junkmanme

    Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

    THANKS, Barnyard

    I will TRY getting some Gatorade down him with a syringe tonight!

    He won't eat a THING. (very unusual for a Boxer!)

    Getting the Vitamin K pill down him was a tougher job than conquering Iraq.

    He's a great fella.......but Boxers are quite "stubborn" (even when sick).

    The syringe idea is good....might try some chicken broth too!

    (Gotta get him hydrated..and some nutrition too!)

    Thanks,
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]
     
  8. Junkmanme

    Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

    NancyDZ,

    I emptied the water-dish and refilled it with Gatorade in the hope that he WILL drink it if water isn't available...(to get some electrolytes into him.)

    Perhaps the chicken broth in the syringe will stimulate his appetite. (I hope)

    THANKS for your help!
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]
     
  9. Barnyard

    Barnyard Addicted to Quack

    Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:Your welcome [​IMG] I have a boxer and I know full well how stubborn they can be. I have to force med's down my boxer when he needs them. Getting your guy hydrated is the most important thing right now. I would try the gatorade, chicken broth, even pedialyte would be better than nothing. Remember lots of fluids and small meals at a time. He may take a little while for you to be able to tell a difference, but stick with it and I am sure your hard work will pay off!!
     
  10. ranchhand

    ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

    13,295
    18
    291
    Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Stomach pumping and/or inducing vomiting only work within the first hour or so.

    I agree with getting him back to the vet asap- sounds like it wasn't taken seriously enough. Meanwhile, try some stinky, fishy cat food- for some reason that works with sick dogs. Also, try putting the pills in peanut butter - my 2 will eat anything with PB on it, no matter how sick they are.

    I nearly lost my Lab to rat poison, left by the previous owners. I wish you the absolute best of luck, for you and the pup.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by