Dog is reformed!

Chicks don't free range when I'm at work, but when I'm home, I can keep an ear on them..... I just walked out side to put the chicks away, and all 6 chickens and both dogs where huddled together begging for treats. The dogs helped me herd the birds to their run. Her posture was content and relaxed she was rewarded in kind for being a good dog. Time will tell and she is just a dog, I'm just a man and they are just chickens. It is important for me that I can trust these dogs. I also have a 7 month old daughter.

I think Moabite might of been having a sound off cos he was angery at his dog, understandable and like many of us when we are angery many be said a few things that are not really ment. Good luck Moabite with the dogs and chickens I have a Staffordshire bull terrier she is very silly and will stand in the middle of all my chickens while they eat and eat with them if she get a chance.

She does sometime chase them but is not fast enoght or gives up to soon - she seems to treat this as a "joke" and I would never curse her if she did do harm as she has an instinict and I have given her that right its a matter of trust. However when she is replace ie she goes to the big dog kennel in the sky of natral causes. The next dog may be a whole differant personality and like my friends dog even run though a electiric chicken fence to get to the chooks and will have to be treated in accoudance.

Like us human some are out going, nevouse, friendly, a loner etc etc Dogs are the same you can nuture whats there but there will always be that instinict as that is mother nature:)

Yeah, I can't blame the dog too much, after all, when the chickens retire from laying, I will make them into Mole enchiladas, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Chicken Quinoa soup, etc.
big_smile.png
and if she is a good dog, she can help me do the dishes.

i used to have a dog that looked just like that his name was Romeo and i had a pure breed staff shire named Icee that would eat geese (we live by a creek) no matter what we did he still did it he would acted like he was "re-formed" for a few days some times even weeks but eventually it never failed he would dart right for where they were as fast as he could a not come back until he was done anyways i hope you dog isn't "waiting for the right time" like mine always did.
sad.png
(i miss him he ran in the road and some guy hit him
hit.gif
i still get tears in my eyes when i think about it)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Just an update. I've been working long days without many days off so the boys (ages 12 and 6) have been taking care of the chicks. They free range all day in my small back yard with the dogs mostly unsupervised. And now a baby magpie has joined in. The magpie and chickens avoid each other but the dogs really like the birds. I give "Wild Bird Food" treats in the evening and the chickens and dogs love it! Aspen is such a pig! She eats all the peanuts before the chickens have a chance. The magpie just squawks loudly and jumps around until I hand it some, but it prefers cat food. I've been planning on the magpie flying off soon. I am not going to worry about its survival after that, but we have been enjoying watching it grow up. It is a smart little devil but it is lucky that my dogs protect it from cats. I'm also grateful that my dogs now protect my chickens. I really think if Aspen attacks another chicken, it will be just a " chase off" and not a murderous munch. Trogg, the Boston Terrier, really likes the "Treats" the chickens leave behind so I know why he doesn't hurt them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom