Dog kennel as a run??

SummitCnty

Hatching
Feb 8, 2016
Maryland
Hi everyone! I am new to the chicken thing having got my chickens from my brother last summer. My hens were all free range until a hawk moved in a decided to take up residence. I lost two before I figured out the problem.

They are now penned up all the time and I was thinking of buying a 10x10x6 dog kennel to attach to the side of the coop with wire or netting over the top of course. Has anyone used this particular set up? I think it would work just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Right now I have 4 chickens. I am going to hatch some soon but will only add 2 or 3 to what I have and have homes for the rest.

I have 7 chicks right now (1 week old) . I got my coop from a buddy for $100 and incorporated it into my 20'x12' dog run. I'm sure it will be fine.

I have the same set up and it's great. I'm assuming it's those chain link dog kennels? If so, one of the best things is that you can usually find random panels on Craigslist to expand the size of the pen. So, you know, you can increase your flock size...

Yes, with a shade cloth on top to keep them safe from hawks. There are some covers made especially for dog runs and ours has worked well.

Watch out for the gaps around the door. Little heads could get smashed in the hinges when the door opens.

Back
Top Bottom