Dog killed three chickens

astylishgirl

Animal Lover Supreme
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
I am so stupid. I had my chickens in their pen and my dog jumped or climbed the fence and killed three chickens. This is the same dog that ate the chicks. I almost hate the dog... but then I remember... she is just a dog. I am guessing she got a taste of chicken from the chicks and is now a confirmed chicken killer. Probably nothing to do about changing that now.

So, it is clear that I can't even THINK of free ranging the chickens. I thought they would be safe in their run... but my dog can climb anything.

My plan is to get a kennel with a top for the dogs. I saw one at Petsmart yesterday. When the chickens are in their pen, the dog goes into the special kennel.

AND I am going to have to figure out how to put a top on the chicken run. It is really high, so I thought they would be safe. Dang this makes me mad. Poor little Dominiques.

I'm so sorry for your loss...again!
hugs.gif
I feel for your frustation and pain. I think you are right, a kennel is a good idea for your dog.

Im sorry for the loss of your chickens. My German Shepherd killed a four week old chick a few weeks ago too, so I know how it feels.

This sounds like you have got this figured out...the problem is either a management issue or a training issue and truthfully its both. I would also do what you are planning--getting a secure kennel for the dog to be in so maybe sometime the chickens can roam a bit.

I also think you should invest some time into training to help the dog deal with the desire to catch and kill the birds. Kenneling the dog will work ok but it will create a lot of stress from pent up prey drive, then watch out!! if you ever accidently let the dog loose. I might suggest you teach the dog a strong "leave it" command where he/she knows to ignore the chickens at least when you are interacting with the dog or the chickens.

Jamie,

The trouble is that they are sneaky. If I am around they obey and are perfect. These two dogs are the smartest dogs I have ever known. The belong to my daughters. Their mom was a golden retriever and their dad a border collie.

We have trained them to stay on the property. It doesn't matter that we are completely fenced as they can climb ANYTHING. They have climbed out of stalls with plywood all the way around. To train them to stay in the yard, we had to use the electric fence and shock collars. If the fence is just electric they would howl and still climb.

It is going to take watching them and the chickens 100% or pens with roofs.

Last edited:
Our dog had the same problem, and we tried to train her. Now she's harmless and loving towards our chickens and our other birds. Here's what we did:

Have your dog on it's leash. Make sure someone strong is holding on to it (depends on what breed). Make the leash very tight. Someone come in with a chicken, preferably holding it to keep it safe. Let the dog be around the chicken, and if it's doing a good job, let it a little closer to maybe nose through the feathers. If anything bad goes wrong, and I mean just a little harmless nip to the feathers, hit the dog on the nose.

Oh, I shrieked when she got close to my beloved Button, but it really worked, and our dog loves our chickens dearly now.

Hope I helped!

P.S.
sad.png
I'm really sorry for your loss!

Last edited by a moderator:
The quickest fix..... Get a solar battery fence. there are lots of posts about this subject.....Many chicken owners (I am one) swear by it. These solar battery boxes are easy to set up and will stop anything from gettting into your coop/run ! give it a try! I am so sorry for your loss.....
Quote:

Quote:
Yes then it sounds like a management issue only. Smart dogs are harder to deal with than any dumber or less motivated dog.

electric fencing around the chicken areas would be good if you can do it.

Wow, it must be frustrating to have a doggie houdini. I hope you are able to train him to ignore the chickens. And I'm sorry about your three chickens.

Poor dog is just being a dog. If you look at it from their point of view, it is so much fun killing chickens they can't understand why we don't do it too.

Dogs and chickens just don't mix.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom