dog limps after playing fetch- is this normal?

Two years is the best time for xrays of hips and elbows (I think that's what I've read) because they're done growing.

German Shepherds (if I read it right
lol.png
) have more problems with their joints because to show them, people want a really sloped back.

Duck Keeper, significant hip dysplasia will show up on an X-ray much younger than 2. A lot of schutzhund people in Houston have their pups X-rayed at 6 months and even younger so they will have a good idea whether to work them or not.

Two years is the age for an OFA Xray, because they have stopped growing.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with Brindle. First x-rays of the hips and elbows at six months.
The american bred GSD is more likely to have the sharp angulation of the hindquarters. I seriously dislike it myself. Much prefer the stockier build and more level hindquarters of the german bred dogs.

Last edited:
thank so much for all of your input. well, we called around to vets and were told it sounded like pano but needed to xray to be sure, sooooo we called the previous owners to discuss it and now they want him back.
we are torn since we love i mean love this dog and our children are sooo attatched to him (he is one of the things they say thanks for in their prayers). so we are now waiting to hear from the previous owners to see what the final word is... sigh...
today he was running around the place like a wild man and playing like we have not seen him do since he has been with us. Like there is nothing at all wrong with him. Maybe it is just growing pains.
Thanks again for your advice and life experiences- comforting to have such wisdom out there.

They want him back??? I'm sorry but unless there's something on paper that says you have to return him if X, Y or Z aren't done, I'd say they are out of luck!

Quote:
That sooo sounds like pano, get an x-ray before you deal with the previous owners. Pano is not a big deal, seriously, even with a whiny pain of a basset who's pano didn't start clearing up until after her 2nd birthday... we survived and hubby's thinking about agility training for her now. We gave her aspirin per the vet of the days it was bothering her.
If no return policy was in a written contract when you bought/received the dog, you do not need to give it back!

Whoaa... the breeders had the dog for 20 months and the OP & family have only had him a few weeks. If I was the breeder, and after placing the dog, was told that he might have a medical condition (possibly serious, if dysplasia) I'd offer to take him back too. I wouldn't wish expensive medical bills and heartache on the new owners.

Forcibly taking the pup back and wanting to lighten expenses for the new owners are two different things. I'm not sure what the exact situation is in that one, but a good breeder will offer to take the dog back or will give money, replace the pup, etc.

I'm wondering if the breeder is wanting the dog back to put it down so that it will be "shushed".

This may not be the case, I'm just trying to see it as a neurotic pessimist.

Quote:
I agree with Brindle. First x-rays of the hips and elbows at six months.
The american bred GSD is more likely to have the sharp angulation of the hindquarters. I seriously dislike it myself. Much prefer the stockier build and more level hindquarters of the german bred dogs.

I agree I like the german lines better.

Back
Top Bottom