Dog plus chicken owners chime in please

Pics
When my son brings his young lab here we keep him on a leash, just in case. But, luckily, he’s never shown any aggression. I realize that’s not a reality for a pupay that is your own. But, if I get an LGD, I plan to train it, on a leash, to go by the chickens, and say no!! I have a bunch of friends who have trained their LGDs that way. The key, I believe, is to not let them view them as a play object.
I think it would be better to say "no" when bad behavior presents itself. Otherwise the chickens = bad and not the behavior

My dog is 9 years old, we got her from the shelter 6 years ago. She is great with my red hens that started out their lives in the living room for the first 6 weeks or so. The black hens that hatched from fertile eggs I bought for my broody girl the next year are a slightly different story. She won't hurt them but she will definitely "chase" them more... she basically just follows them very close. She doesn't do that with the red ones. Strange. She also will eat foods that she ordinarily will not touch, IF I'm offering it to the chickens. :)

When my son brings his young lab here we keep him on a leash, just in case. But, luckily, he’s never shown any aggression. I realize that’s not a reality for a pupay that is your own. But, if I get an LGD, I plan to train it, on a leash, to go by the chickens, and say no!! I have a bunch of friends who have trained their LGDs that way. The key, I believe, is to not let them view them as a play object.
Denise my key word is off with all puppies during training. No works on simple corrections.

. Someone at some stage must have trained their original dog but after that the senior dog trains the new ones.
This is exactly what happened to me. My origional Australien Shepherd (now passed) did 95% of the training for the three guardian dogs i have now. He was a natural guardian and did no herding which is what ausies are breed for.
I will always get a puppy before my senior dogs pass. Then they get trained by example.
Curent guadian dogs are.
Miki- cattle dog/border collie
Zip- austrailen shepherd/pit bull
June- german shepherd/lab
This is Momo, who probably saved a couple hundred chickens. I witnessed him once running under a red tail hawk who was lifting off with a banty hen once. The red tail got nervous and dropped the chicken, and Mo stood over her until i got there to pick her up.

Attachments

• Randomness- NC 037.JPG
    Randomness- NC 037.JPG
    433.1 KB · Views: 3
This is exactly what happened to me. My origional Australien Shepherd (now passed) did 95% of the training for the three guardian dogs i have now. He was a natural guardian and did no herding which is what ausies are breed for.
I will always get a puppy before my senior dogs pass. Then they get trained by example.
Curent guadian dogs are.
Miki- cattle dog/border collie
Zip- austrailen shepherd/pit bull
June- german shepherd/lab
This is Momo, who probably saved a couple hundred chickens. I witnessed him once running under a red tail hawk who was lifting off with a banty hen once. The red tail got nervous and dropped the chicken, and Mo stood over her until i got there to pick her up.
Okay well old Dogs don't train new pups . Just certain pups won't take the chasing of livestock without persuasion. I definitely train my pups and don't leave that up to the old dog to correct anything wrong with the puppy.

Our male Akita is almost 1 1/2...he loves ALL the chickens. Chicks and adults. He's extremely well trained, but I never expected this.
I don't trust our 5 year old Akita with them. If they peck, she wants to *peck* back.
Our Llewellin setter was amazing with the chickens, too.

Attachments

• 20200229_173415.jpg
    20200229_173415.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 2
Okay well old Dogs don't train new pups . Just certain pups won't take the chasing of livestock without persuasion. I definitely train my pups and don't leave that up to the old dog to correct anything wrong with the puppy
Well, ok....maybe you know more about my dogs and my personal experiance than i do.
When we rescued June, a 5 year old GSD/LAB she would sometimes start to chase any chicken that would run from her and MOMO and MIKI would light into her and correct the behavior immediately.
In my opinion that is senior dogs training new dog.
And our youngest dog ZIP did not learn, sniff the wind, listen to the guineas and crows, and patrol the back hill from me! He learned it from example of the senior dogs.

Hi all. First comes a disclaimer: I know that each doggo is a different 'person' and behavior can't be predicted by breed. I also realize that training, age, and various other factors come into play. But I'd very much like to hear from folks who owned dogs plus chickens and can say "My dog RoverSpotLucyBingoCharlieWhatever was around our chickens a lot and never showed even the slightest inclination to chase or harm them, plus what breed they were - or if not known, what breed they resembled. It's not time for us to get our next dog yet, but I'm in the process of gathering information for when that time does come. Thanks!
I have a seven year old Australian Terrorist, that i hate, but he is great around my four year old flock. Of course other than the rats that occasionally show up and the wild rabbits and squirrels he has never been aggressive to any animals. When my twin Wyandotte hens decided to attack him he stopped turned to face them, put the fear of God into them and immediately went on about his business of hunting tennis balls for me to throw over and over and over.

Back
Top Bottom