Dog pregnant? I hope not!

X2

Owning intact male and female dogs in the same home and expecting them not to breed is ridiculous, sorry. You need to get them fixed. There are millions of mixed breed pups and dogs dying in shelters every day. I work for a rescue, so I get to see this first hand.

Unaltered animals are also difficult to manage and much more likely to run off, get in fights, get hit by cars....

If you want to breed dogs, do it responsibly, and breed dogs that people want to buy that are held to a high standard.

I'm glad humans dont don't live by your standards because we are all mixed breed of some sort. What gives you the right to Tell everyone else how or when to breed their dog. A dog is a dog, companions aren't better if they cost more money. Any breed mixed or pure can give and receive love. Statements like that are ignorant and insulting.

Last edited:
I'm glad humans dont don't live by your standards because we are all mixed breed of some sort. What gives you the right to Tell everyone else how or when to breed their dog. A dog is a dog, companions aren't better if they cost more money. Any breed mixed or pure can give and receive love. Statements like that are ignorant and insulting.

Sorry you took my statements so personally. I would never adjoin my statements about dogs with humans...that would be silly.

I think if you are breeding dogs you should do so responsibly. I don't think there is a good excuse for adding to the number of unwanting animals (mix breed or pure bred) that are dying in shelters every day.

Funny that you're accusing me of telling people how or weather to breed their dogs when the OP states that he/she didn't even intend to in the first place and honestly has no clue how or when his/her dog may or may not have gotten pregnant!

I'm sure you have issues that you feel passionately about because of your knowledge of those issues and what causes them. Hopefully you never offend someone one of these days
1f609.png

Last edited:
Sorry you took my statements so personally. I would never adjoin my statements about dogs with humans...that would be silly.

I think if you are breeding dogs you should do so responsibly. I don't think there is a good excuse for adding to the number of unwanting animals (mix breed or pure bred) that are dying in shelters every day.

Funny that you're accusing me of telling people how or weather to breed their dogs when the OP states that he/she didn't even intend to in the first place and honestly has no clue how or when his/her dog may or may not have gotten pregnant!

I'm sure you have issues that you feel passionately about because of your knowledge of those issues and what causes them. Hopefully you never offend someone one of these days
1f609.png

I'm curious to know what your definition of "breeding responsibly" is. I find that many people who work for rescues don't support breeding dogs at all. If OP had personal reason for not fixing their dog then so be it. As long as OP gets the required vaccinations for the dogs then I don't see any problem with people making any decisions about the pros and cons of major surgeries, or the health of their dogs altogether.

Now to OP - even though she is out of heat now, you said there was only one time when she was unsupervised with the male while she was in heat? If so, she probably got bred. I found with our female there was no way to tell until she started to gain weight and visibly looked pregnant ( around 3-4 weeks). Dogs have 3 stages in their heat cycles. Once the dog starts to bleed the optimum time to breed is between 9-15 days after onset of bleeding, depending on the dog and breed. If you didn't keep track of the days then you have no way of knowing when in her cycle she might have been bred. Dogs have been known to be bred at any point in their cycle though.

If she was bred you might expect a large litter (8-12 pups) since she is a large breed, even though this is her first litter. Our first time momma had 8! I'm sure you'll be able to find homes for them. If she wasn't bred then I would invest in a doggy diaper for her when she comes in heat. If she doesn't take it off, it makes sure you don't get blood all over your house but also provides a barrier for the male. You could also get a belly belt for your intact male, that may help also.

Good luck and don't let people make you feel bad for your personal choices for your animals!
wink.png

PS - most unaltered bitches nipples get bigger after their first heat even if they weren't bred. And bigger still after they are bred and raise pups!

Last edited:
I'm curious to know what your definition of "breeding responsibly" is. I find that many people who work for rescues don't support breeding dogs at all. If OP had personal reason for not fixing her dog then so be it. As long as OP gets the required vaccinations for her dogs then I don't see any problem with people making any decisions about the pros and cons of major surgeries, or the health of their dogs altogether. 

Well I'm a realist and understand that people are going to breed dogs. I'm okay with that.

I believe that responsible breeders are going to learn everything they can about the breed of dog they choose to breed. They will choose dogs to breed that have traits that are desirable for that breeds standards. This means that they're in good physical condition and are knowingly passing on positive attributes, no known physical or behavioral problems...etc. This also means placing their litters with appropriate people and families for the type of dog they are breeding.

I get to deal with the aftermath of irresponsible back yard dog breeding all the time, as well as puppy mill breeders who are far worse. Both have tragic outcomes more often than not.

OP can do whatever she or he wants with their dog. This is a public forum so I stated my opinion :)

Well I'm going to side step all the stupid drama here and point out that intact female dogs have larger nipples and more prominent genitals than spayed dogs. She might not be pregnant, may be just becoming an adult dog.

1f609.png

All I'm saying is don't tell people what to do with their dogs because you believe its right. The OP said she would keep some of the puppies. Some people treat their dogs like their children ( I'm not one of those people, although I do respect their views) if op daughter got pregnant and didn't know how or when, would you tell her to abort the baby, because their are too many babys at orphanages? Or because the babys dad is not the same race? What they do with their dog is their business. Killing dogs at a shelter is not somthing to brag about. Most shelters do more harm than good. They think they are god, deciding which dog lives and which one is adopted out. Dogs that get hit by cars are dogs that play in the street, not dogs that are not fixed.

Quote:
Have her checked by a vet. It is possible for her to be experiencing a false pregnancy, This can lead to a pyometria as can coming out of a heat, which can be life threatening. There are two types, the open kind where there may be a discharge and a closed pyo which can be the more dangerous. While not common it does happen. Unfortunately the treatment is usually an emergency spay on a sick ***** (Had that happen.)

I disagree with her having too much mammary devolopment for not being preg/false preg. Recently lost a 15+ y/o dog who had never had a litter.. her nipples were *way* bigger than the pictured dog's, and had been since she was young.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom