Dog-proof Coon trap---Success!

jhm47

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Now that the weather has finally begun to warm up a bit, the coons and skunks are beginning to roam. Last week, a coon killed about 3 - 4 of my chickens in the barn. He must have entered through a hole in one of the doors. I set one of my dog-proof traps near where the chickens roost, and the next morning---HAD HIM! My dad (who will be 98 this coming Wednesday) shot him before I got out to the barn. In my opinion, these traps are worth their weight in gold to those of us who raise chickens, or any kind of poultry.

I set the traps, anchor them in the ground, and pour them nearly full of dog or cat food. Then, I pour a small amount of coon "food bait" lure around the rim of the trap. The coons cannot resist the smell of the lure, and lick that off. Then they apparently start to pull up pieces of the cat or dog food out of the trap. When they hit the trigger, they pull up on that, and SNAP! they're caught.

Last year, we also had a terrible problem with coons, and caught six in one week. Some of them were huge from gorging themselves on my chickens, ducks and peafowl. Had very little problem with them till this past week.

They are great traps as I use them to trap on my trap line! I do warn you to be careful of talking about trapping animals IF you are doing so out of season. Not that I care but it only takes that one person to read your thread... I`d be doing the same thing that you are if they were killing my animals too.

Back
Top Bottom