Dog-proof fencing

We are building a 8x20 run for my chickens. It will be roofed and covered with hardware cloth. My garden will be next to it, with a 3-4 foot path between. I would like to let the chickens into the garden as additional forage space (about 15x40, slightly rounded at one corner), before planting and toward the end of harvest, plus throughout the winter, just for extra space for them and to let them eat the bugs and weeds out of season. I have 2 dogs that are NOT going to be allowed with the chickens. What is the cheapest option to fence my garden space? The hens will only be out in it mid-day, so I’m not worried about nighttime predators. I am thinking of using 6ft high fence posts so I can cover it with bird netting. I just want something the dogs can’t rip through so they can be out in the yard at the same time. I was looking at welded wire and woven wire. If it’s 4ft high I could do a skirt at first two feet and double layer to reach the top. The hens will not be in the garden if we aren’t home and generally outside, but I want to keep them safe if I do run in the house for a little while. Thanks for your thoughts.
I have that exact same set up and have dogs that I keep separate. I used 6 foot high metal fence posts and a metal/wire fencing which was a bit expensive but sturdy. I could not find a roll of the metal fencing that was high enough so I used a 4 foot wide fence roll on the bottom and a 3 foot wide fence roll above it . The 2 together go a bit above the fence posts but stands up because it is made of a stiff material. The challenge is having a fence high enough so that the chickens dont get startled when a dog runs at them from outside the fence and they jump up and over in their startle.. landing the chickens in danger outside the fence. This happened to me several times with a smaller 4 foot fence so I strongly recomend going with the taller at least 6 foot fence posts and fencing.

I have that exact same set up and have dogs that I keep separate. I used 6 foot high metal fence posts and a metal/wire fencing which was a bit expensive but sturdy. I could not find a roll of the metal fencing that was high enough so I used a 4 foot wide fence roll on the bottom and a 3 foot wide fence roll above it . The 2 together go a bit above the fence posts but stands up because it is made of a stiff material. The challenge is having a fence high enough so that the chickens dont get startled when a dog runs at them from outside the fence and they jump up and over in their startle.. landing the chickens in danger outside the fence. This happened to me several times with a smaller 4 foot fence so I strongly recomend going with the taller at least 6 foot fence posts and fencing.
Thank you for your reply! Do you have a link or product name for the fencing you used & where you got it?

This has been working for us got the fencing from tractor supply and wood from homedepot we just finally finished doing the 3rd acre we made a separate area for our crazy pup using the fencing and the 12 ft metal gates from tractor supply to do it all the fencing the wood and we got the 3 12 ft metal gates we are under 3k oh wait forgot the black fence paint also from tractor supply everything was under 3k pup has his area chickems and ducks have a acre and the humans have little over 1 1/2 acres.

Attachments

• 16495433890726895493782780406159.jpg
    16495433890726895493782780406159.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
This has been working for us got the fencing from tractor supply and wood from homedepot we just finally finished doing the 3rd acre we made a separate area for our crazy pup using the fencing and the 12 ft metal gates from tractor supply to do it all the fencing the wood and we got the 3 12 ft metal gates we are under 3k oh wait forgot the black fence paint also from tractor supply everything was under 3k pup has his area chickems and ducks have a acre and the humans have little over 1 1/2 acres.
Thanks!

Thanks! Not worried about fox or raccoon, they will have a hardware cloth run. Just need to keep the dogs out of my garden when I let the chickens eat the bugs before planting and clean it up after harvest!
You really have a very simple problem . Tie the dogs . Any dog owner has failed if the pup was not trained to tie in their early training period . Similar to kids that had NO training as toddlers because we can't tell a teenager much of anything .

I would run a hot wire at the bottom and the top.
Don't trouble yourself with a wire at the top . For the common electric fence to be effective the animal must be grounded and any animal climbing the fence won't have their feet on the ground . The fencer has 2 trminals with the negative ( - ) being a grounding connection . A damp / wet surface they have their feet on is more effective .

Back
Top Bottom