Dog Run turning to Chicken Coop

Donalee

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
Hi there, I live in Salmon Arm BC, and am wanting to turn my back yard dog run into a chicken pen, it's a perfect spot, lots of trees, shade and scratching room. We had chicken on the farm as a kid, but we were out of town and on acreage. I'm just getting started on this project, but am needing to find out if I am even allowed to have a few chickens within city limits. I know I need to call City Hall, but does anyone have any nuggets of information before I get started? I love animals, and I'm just looking to have fresh eggs, and give some chickens a great home. Thanks, Donalee

Last edited:
Yes, that is my most important question to have answered at this point. The run is about 50' wide and 30' deep. Lots of plum trees, etc. What is a good layer breed, I think my mom use to have the big white ones, and some big brown ones, but don't know the breed names.

Heres a list of breeds that are recognized for their laying:
Black Australorp
Rhode Island Red
Orpington (many colors)
Plymouth Rocks (many colors)
White Leghorn
Wyandottes (many colors)
There are more, but these are the ones that come to mind first.....

Heres a list of breeds that are recognized for their laying:
Black Australorp
Rhode Island Red
Orpington (many colors)
Plymouth Rocks (many colors)
White Leghorn
Wyandottes (many colors)
There are more, but these are the ones that come to mind first.....
Ah yes, Rhode Island Red and White Leghorns were what we had had, plus others like Bantoms and some black chickens that laid green eggs, hehe. Thank you so much.

what city are you in? you can probably find out online what they allow
I'm in Salmon Arm, a little town in the interior of British Columbia, Canada. That's what I was looking for online when I stumbled upon this site. Great place to be I'm thinking. I didn't realize so many people loved chickens. I remember making pets of all our chickens on the farm, I'd spend hours up in the chicken coop playing with them. This is very exciting.

Back
Top Bottom