1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog Run turning to Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Donalee, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Donalee

Donalee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Hi there, I live in Salmon Arm BC, and am wanting to turn my back yard dog run into a chicken pen, it's a perfect spot, lots of trees, shade and scratching room. We had chicken on the farm as a kid, but we were out of town and on acreage. I'm just getting started on this project, but am needing to find out if I am even allowed to have a few chickens within city limits. I know I need to call City Hall, but does anyone have any nuggets of information before I get started? I love animals, and I'm just looking to have fresh eggs, and give some chickens a great home. Thanks, Donalee

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Hi, welcome to BYC.....i think turning a dog run for chickens is a good idea, and very convenient. I hope the place u live allows chickens.

3. Donalee

Oct 13, 2012
    Yes, that is my most important question to have answered at this point. The run is about 50' wide and 30' deep. Lots of plum trees, etc. What is a good layer breed, I think my mom use to have the big white ones, and some big brown ones, but don't know the breed names.

4. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Heres a list of breeds that are recognized for their laying:
    Black Australorp
    Rhode Island Red
    Orpington (many colors)
    Plymouth Rocks (many colors)
    White Leghorn
    Wyandottes (many colors)
    There are more, but these are the ones that come to mind first.....

5. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

6. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    what city are you in? you can probably find out online what they allow

7. Donalee

Oct 13, 2012
    Ah yes, Rhode Island Red and White Leghorns were what we had had, plus others like Bantoms and some black chickens that laid green eggs, hehe. Thank you so much.

8. Donalee

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you so much, I stumbled upon this site by accident while looking for info on keeping chickens in town limits, lucky me, I think I will find a lot of answers here. You peop's are awesome.

9. Donalee

Oct 13, 2012
    I'm in Salmon Arm, a little town in the interior of British Columbia, Canada. That's what I was looking for online when I stumbled upon this site. Great place to be I'm thinking. I didn't realize so many people loved chickens. I remember making pets of all our chickens on the farm, I'd spend hours up in the chicken coop playing with them. This is very exciting.

10. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    a great place to be is right....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by