dog run???

Theapplechicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Has anyone successfully used a dog kennel/run for a chicken pen? I need something quick and don't have tons of extra money right now so I was thinking of picking one up from our local Lowes (cheaper than TS) It's big enough that I can put the smaller one (rabbit hutch size) inside it for them to nest in. Tarp cover for now until i can get a nice one for it. What do you think?

It may keep your chickens in, but you're going to want to reinforce it to keep predators out. Snakes, rats, etc. will go right through the chainlink, and a lot of predators will dig under. I'd recommend putting hardware cloth around at least the bottom of the pen, with a buried "skirt" to keep diggers out.

Im using a dog run,. its for big dogs. 4x10. I have a screen shad over it now but plan on replacing with new makes for more shad and partial tarp to cover the rain side of the run.. even when I have my bigs coop/runs make Ill use the kennel run for some.. babies fit thru but noto the teens and adults.. works great for me..
good luck )O(
Pink

We used a 10X10 Dog run to surround our raised coop which is 4X6, works very well. You can find used dog runs on craigslist.

Dave

If it's a chainlink kennel, they are great but you may want to make sure the wire is fully secured at the bottom so something cannot push thru. If you have fuzzybutts, you will need to run a tighted weave wire or netting along the bottom and in the corners to keep them in. If you can, skirt the outside to keep diggers out. A alturnate to digging in skirt is to attach it to the fence panel and lay it out flat about 18 inches and even pin or weight it down. Diggers start at the base of the fence and if they cannot get thru the wire, they usually move on. If your coop is secure, a tarp roof will work. If not them you will need to cover it with wire to keep coon out. The neat thing about chain link is you can cut tree branches a little longer than the run is wide and hang additional roosts or perches outside for a hot day perch in the shade.

As for a coop, a crate with a lift off top for cleaning and egg collection with couple milkcrates to lay in works great and is all you need. A inside roost is important however if you don't have one just cover the milk crates as they will perch on them

PS. If you elevate the coop so the birds can go under it, you won't loose run space

Last edited:
I have a 10x12 dog run with a 4x6 elevated coop . the dog run has a tarp on one end , the dog run has been reenforced with hardware mesh around the bottom with a skirt . The dog run can be found on craigslist pretty cheap. works pretty nice

What we did with our first coop...

Dog kennel initially 7 by 12; expanded it's length by purchasing additional top and bottom railings as we were only fencing in three sides (the "open" side is attached to the coop).

Chicken wire along the bottom (attached to the bottom rails, then covered with sand), 36" hardware cloth wrapped around the perimeter, a roof made of PVC pipe and 36" hardware cloth:

84140_img_0853.jpg

My runs are also dog runs. I am very happy with them, although I ALWAYS shut them in at night because even though the top and floor are wired, I watched a weasel go right through the chain link to get one of my chickens. A friend of mine had raccoons reach through her at ground level to get her birds. She lined the whoel thing with chicken wire and has no problems since--and she has TONS of raccoons around her house.

Here is an old picture before our renovation (including major leveling
smile.png
) of the shed.
House017.jpg

Last edited:
I use a dog kennel for my girls. In fact I have 4 up now. I can't free range my girls because of my dogs and the coyotees, fox and hawks. My neighbor lost all his birds to all. (except my dogs)

It took my husband and I only an hour to put up the last one and cover the top with wire fence. My girls love the addition.

Back
Top Bottom