dog run???

works great ! I love it , you can even add on if you want more room , I cover the top of mine with flight netting
81374_ty_108.jpg

I couldn't find anything locally on Craigslist so I called around and I can get one at Lowes for $220 that is 10x10x6. I figure that should be good for my girls. I have 15 girls altogether now w/ 3 full size and the rest banty. I have my 4 original banty and 4 babies in the coop I orginally got which is 4x6 and has 3 covered nest boxes a roost and the rest is just room to run, but I don't feel it's enough room and now we have the 7 "teens" to add to the lot. I'm not sure about putting the coop into the run, but I do have a raised rabbit hutch that we have been keeping the "teens" in for now that would work as a nesting area. Until I can afford to get a nice coop to attach to the kennel.

Thanks for the pictures and input. I will need to put some re-enforcement around the bottom as we have some opossums and coons in the area and the top will definitely need to be covered to keep out the hawks that living in my neighborhood.

My hubby thought also doing it this way we can move it around if we need to. I kinda like the idea of the sand floor.

Be careful about the corners and around the gate. Also, in those premade panels they sell, the chainlink doesn't fully meet the pipe that forms the frame of the panel. That's where a lot of predators will get in.

Lots and lots of people use dog runs as chicken runs...you just have to take a good hard look at it and think like a predator!
tongue.png

Quote:
The one we are getting is a kit that you put together yourself and the reviews all said that it came with too much fencing that had to be cut down? We do have some preditors as I found the hard way. After putting out traps we have cought several raccoons and opossums. We also have hawks so I will definitely have to do some re-enforcing. Gonna use a tarp for the moment for the top and then when I have a little extra cash i will either purchase the keenel roof or make one out of some pvc pipes. I saw an adorable little coop on another post that I would love to have one like to put in for them to nest in... I just need something for now, I hate seeing them all squished up! It's been nice out so I've been letting them free range all day but I won't be able to do that all the time.

Quote:
Gail I love the way you designed this and hope to build the same type of run for my chickens. Can you tell me how you attached the pvc to the dog run?

Back
Top Bottom