Dog Safeguard

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
We usually recommend the SafeGuard for goats here, I found this today. It's a dry powder, in 2 gram packets. Would this be appropriate for chickens and what would the doses be? Safe as they recommend for dogs.
It's also 10.99.
20231130_203801.jpg 20231130_203810.jpg

SafeGuard Canine fenbendazole granules 22.2% (222 mg/g)

Safe-Guard AquaSol is 200 mg of fenbendazole/ml, (too expensive, just using as an example for dosage) they have that broken down for this product as: administered orally to chickens via the drinking water at a daily dose of 1 mg/kg BW (0.454 mg/lb) for 5 consecutive days. Source

SafeGuard for Goats is 100mg/ml fenbendazole and dosage recommended for chickens: 25 mg/Kg per bird per day or as stated elsewhere, 23ml per pound

So I'm horrible at math and chemistry, but if I read this right, it appears the Canine SafeGuard is twice as potent as the Goat's.

We usually recommend the SafeGuard for goats here, I found this today. It's a dry powder, in 2 gram packets. Would this be appropriate for chickens and what would the doses be? Safe as they recommend for dogs.
It's also 10.99.
View attachment 3695819View attachment 3695821
Do an onsite search for Safeguard Granules, Granules, canine dewormer and powdered (try different search variations!) - posted by Casportpony, this will give you the best info.

I don't think the powder packets will be very economical.

Safeguard Liquid Goat dewomer is going to be your best bet or Valbazen. Upfront $$ of course is more expensive but you will be able to treat your birds many times over.

Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer or Equine Paste (Fenbendazole/100mg/ml) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight (50mg/kg) give once then repeated in 10 days to treat Roundworms Only.
Give for 5 days in a row if treating other worms including Roundworms, but not Tapeworm.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10days. This will treat most worms except for Tapeworms.

SafeGuard for Goats is 100mg/ml fenbendazole and dosage recommended for chickens: 25 mg/Kg per bird per day or as stated elsewhere, 23ml per pound

So I'm horrible at math and chemistry, but if I read this right, it appears the Canine SafeGuard is twice as potent as the Goat's.
If you are wanting to give 25mg/kg of Safeguard for Goats (100mg/ml) that would translate to 0.1818mg per pound of weight.

Do an onsite search for Safeguard Granules, Granules, canine dewormer and powdered (try different search variations!) - posted by Casportpony, this will give you the best info.

I don't think the powder packets will be very economical.

Safeguard Liquid Goat dewomer is going to be your best bet or Valbazen. Upfront $$ of course is more expensive but you will be able to treat your birds many times over.

Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer or Equine Paste (Fenbendazole/100mg/ml) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight (50mg/kg) give once then repeated in 10 days to treat Roundworms Only.
Give for 5 days in a row if treating other worms including Roundworms, but not Tapeworm.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10days. This will treat most worms except for Tapeworms.

If you are wanting to give 25mg/kg of Safeguard for Goats (100mg/ml) that would translate to 0.1818mg per pound of weight.
Thanks! I was just wondering on the dose in case someone could find the dog safeguard and not the goat kind.

Back
Top Bottom