DOG TRIED TO KILL CHICKEN!

Not sure what to say, dogs are not naturally friendly with their prey. Strays will definitely not be nice with other animals, he had to survive in the wild by eating them. You could try to train him but it would take a very long time to train an adult dog who already eats chickens to stop attacking them.
Thankfully, all chickens are back, and the injured chicken made a speedy recovery.

My dog reluctantly is on a tie out, and gets up and down the steps and a small area to do it's business, and bark at passing dogs. It was very chicken unfriendly as a pup/young adult, it is getting to 3 now, and as long as the bird doesn't flap or run it ignores them, but it knows the taste of fresh meat, so I really don't trust it. Chickens are unbelievably stupid, so unless the dog is muzzled they won't last long. Mine isn't, so I have to keep a watchful eye.

Sorry to be contentious, I realise many back yarders are keeping pets and get all fluffy about them, I enjoy the challenges of rearing them, go ahh when I have succeeded with one of my cross breeding incubator projects and a fluff ball emerges, and harvesting the eggs for sale to the neighbourhood but if it is in distress from an illness, or injured and unlikely to recover it goes to birdy heaven. x-rays, vets.... sheesh.

I don't like it, but we have to manage our flocks.

Just read the good news about bird recovering. Great stuff. From experience if badly bitten or damaged by accident or what ever you usually know straight away if they are gonners, they give up straight away, go into shock, the head goes back and all floppy, and within minutes generally speaking they die. I have tried keeping warm, drip feeding water, and nursing them, but nearly always it is a lost cause.

My dog reluctantly is on a tie out, and gets up and down the steps and a small area to do it's business, and bark at passing dogs. It was very chicken unfriendly as a pup/young adult, it is getting to 3 now, and as long as the bird doesn't flap or run it ignores them, but it knows the taste of fresh meat, so I really don't trust it. Chickens are unbelievably stupid, so unless the dog is muzzled they won't last long. Mine isn't, so I have to keep a watchful eye.

Sorry to be contentious, I realise many back yarders are keeping pets and get all fluffy about them, I enjoy the challenges of rearing them, go ahh when I have succeeded with one of my cross breeding incubator projects and a fluff ball emerges, and harvesting the eggs for sale to the neighbourhood but if it is in distress from an illness, or injured and unlikely to recover it goes to birdy heaven. x-rays, vets.... sheesh.

Just read the good news about bird recovering. Great stuff. From experience if badly bitten or damaged by accident or what ever you usually know straight away if they are gonners, they give up straight away, go into shock, the head goes back and all floppy, and within minutes generally speaking they die. I have tried keeping warm, drip feeding water, and nursing them, but nearly always it is a lost cause.

First I want to say that Chickens are not unbelievably stupid at least mine are not. They feel pain just like everything else so if my girls are injured they are going to my vet sometimes they don’t make it but I feel a lot better knowing that I tried and did not just leave them to there supposed fate. It never ceases to amaze me how some people thing certain animals are just throw away things like trash.

You must have a super breed of chickens, Mine are certainly just above worms for intelligence. While individuals may have certain "personalities" they run on instinct not intelligence. Why else would a bird stand in a pile of food and then scratch it to the four corners of the universe.

If you are keeping a few chickens because you like them clucking and scratching around fine. Like I inferred they are pets. Even as a keeper of around 100 I try my hardest to give them a good life, but while I definitely do not want or enjoy euthanasia I am not running an animal hospital. What you are suggesting is the "right thing to do" is to spend a fortune on a bird that is worth $10 on the plate.

I just paid a good few dollars for a procedure on the dog. The problem was problematic for the dog, but not major. Had it been major, I am sorry I do not have bottomless pockets. Whilst not actually a commercial farmer I am living in an agricultural environment, and being practical about animal husbandry. I would imagine if you saw how your KFC arrived on your plate you would become a vegetarian. Considering the GMO's they are fed on, and the way it is coated in toxins it might be a very good idea to be a vegetarian.

You must have a super breed of chickens, Mine are certainly just above worms for intelligence. While individuals may have certain "personalities" they run on instinct not intelligence. Why else would a bird stand in a pile of food and then scratch it to the four corners of the universe.

If you are keeping a few chickens because you like them clucking and scratching around fine. Like I inferred they are pets. Even as a keeper of around 100 I try my hardest to give them a good life, but while I definitely do not want or enjoy euthanasia I am not running an animal hospital. What you are suggesting is the "right thing to do" is to spend a fortune on a bird that is worth $10 on the plate.

I just paid a good few dollars for a procedure on the dog. The problem was problematic for the dog, but not major. Had it been major, I am sorry I do not have bottomless pockets. Whilst not actually a commercial farmer I am living in an agricultural environment, and being practical about animal husbandry. I would imagine if you saw how your KFC arrived on your plate you would become a vegetarian. Considering the GMO's they are fed on, and the way it is coated in toxins it might be a very good idea to be a vegetarian.

Try keeping less animals then guy! The post was about helping a persons injured chicken not your personal life story.

Dogs are the number 1 killers of chickens. I would not let your stray dog anywhere near your chickens. Just because you didn’t see blood does not mean she doesn’t have injuries.
Dogs will grab a hold and shake which can cause grave injuries.

Last edited:

What kind of chickens do you have that have the intelligence of a worm?

Back
Top Bottom