Dog tumor bleeding?? Help!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat Lover 3, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Goat Lover 3

Goat Lover 3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    My miniture, 7 year old, female dachshund has had a tumor under her tail for a while. I have had the vet check it, and they said it looked fine, just to watch it and see if it gets bigger. Today, I noticed the tumor looked larger than normal and It just started bleeding! Today is a Sunday, so the vet is not open. Should I just wait until morning to take her to the vet? I am kind of worried about her!

2. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

Does your normal vet answer emergency phone calls even if the office is closed? I would try to call your regular vet and check if you are able to leave a call-back number or message. Lots of practices will answer phone calls, but will only come into the office for certain emergencies. Your regular vet will be able to advise you on what to do...

If you can't get a hold of your regular vet, you *could* go to an emergency or 24-hour vet, but be ready to shell out a BUNCH of money for the visit.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How much bleeding are we talking? Just a little oozing, or a constant drip drip drip? Oozing or even moderate bleeding, that is easily controlled with pressure, isn't an emergency. Tumors often have increased blood supply and bleed easily, so not always a big deal. Constant dripping/uncontrollable bleeding in a dog that size would warrant a trip to an emergency vet.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How is your dog today?

5. Goat Lover 3

Goat Lover 3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Sorry it took so long to reply. It was a little oozing. The tumor finally stopped bleeding about 30 minutes after I posted this. It still looks large though. I am going to try to take her to the vet soon as I can. Thank you all for helping and caring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by